BMW rattle - bimmer-driver
Evening all,
My mums running one of the last original BMW compacts, a 316i with the 1.9 engine on an X-plate with 58000 miles on the clock. She told me that theres a rattle coming from somewhere under the bonnet and I've had a look and found where the rattle is coming from. The problem is I don't know what it is.
Its coming from one of the sprockets that the fanbelt is running round. On these engines the fanbelt goes in a triangle shape around 3 things and its the top one in the middle thats rattling, but as I've said I haven't a clue what it is. At first I thought it could be the alternator, then the power steering pump, then the waterpump, then the air-conditioning compressor.
If anyone has any idea it would be gratefully appreciated.
BMW rattle - storme
if its not attached to anything,,it is a tensioner...

i will post again soon,,,just going to check something out :)
--
www.storme.co.uk
BMW rattle - Aprilia
On this engine the belt goes around about 8-9 pullies! The top one in the middle (between waterpump and alternator) is a 'guide pulley' (not actually a tensioner). Is this the one you mean?
BMW rattle - storme
:)

thats what i meant..... :)

should be easy to change it
--
www.storme.co.uk
Thanks for the replies. My mind is now at rest.
Update for anyone who cares-
The car is now at our local expensive BMW dealership and they say that the air-con tensioner is the cause of the rattle, but that also the water-pump is up the swanney. Outcome? That'll be 290.00GBP + VAT + Labour charges. And they don't have the tensioner in stock so they'll order it overnight for fitting tomorrow.
If only everything in life was as reliable as a BMW.
BMW rattle - storme
hehe at least you now know :)

water pump is a common fault
and so are the control arms and bushes
--
www.storme.co.uk
BMW rattle - Aprilia
The air-con tensioner is the one right down at the bottom IIRC.

£290+VAT is very very dear for just a tensioner and waterpump. With a car of this age/mileage it would be worth getting these parts from ECP and having an independent fit them. BMW will probably sting you for £200 to fit - that's a near £600 bill for a couple of minor items! Anyway, let us know how it turns out.
I also thought 290GBP was a bit much but hopefully that does include labour and I misheard the bloke on the phone. If not I agree its a rip-off. Plus its also having a brake fluid change cos the little clock on the dash came on which will no doubt add to the bill.
Still, I suppose they need to get all the money they can to pay for all the fancy chrome and glass and pot plants in the showroom. And the attractive receptionists' wages.
We'll see when we go to pick it up tomorrow pm.
BMW rattle - ihpj
Try negotiating them down. You'd be surprised on how flexible these Service people can be. They, like msot things, do have a margin to play with, so jsut negotiate them down. We did when our 330 went in for an oil service + fluid renewlas (I think BMW charge £60 for brake fluid change)...so don't be shy!

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
BMW rattle - storme
DONT FORGET

if your car is more than 4 years old ...bmw offer a discount on parts and labour of 10%.it is available on the uk and it is called

FOUR PLUS servicing programme.

get this discount confirmed
--
www.storme.co.uk
BMW rattle - Aprilia
I also thought 290GBP was a bit much but hopefully that
does include labour and I misheard the bloke on the phone.

Optimistic...!
Still, I suppose they need to get all the money they
can to pay for all the fancy chrome and glass and
pot plants in the showroom. And the attractive receptionists' wages.

She won't be earning much. £5.50 an hour probably.
Update No.2
Car is now all better, the cost coming in at 396GBP (can't find pound sign) which wasn't as bad as it could have been. That includes the brake fluid change, and the car was washed and valeted aswell.
Hopefully it should now go on for many miles without anything else going wrong.
Update No.3
Car is now making another 2 rattles, 1 from under the bonnet, 1 from the back. Don't know what they are yet as its gone dark, but I'll have a butchers tomorrow in the daylight.
BMW rattle - Rishab C
They probably caused the rattles - at that profit who wouldn't.
The parts are £29 + £58 ish at ECP + £3 at Wilkos for brake fluid.
BMW rattle - Aprilia
They probably caused the rattles - at that profit who wouldn't.
The parts are £29 + £58 ish at ECP + £3
at Wilkos for brake fluid.

You forgot the antifreeze...
Just had a look, and the rattle rom under the bonnet isn't a rattle its a squeal as the drive-belt they've put back on hasn't been done right so is not turning the far left sprocket. Sometimes itll work properly, others not at all.
Its going in again on Friday to be sorted. Atleast this won't cost anything.
BMW rattle - Aprilia
The far left one is the air-con pulley. Are you sure you're not seeing it turn or not turn according to whether the air-con clutch is engaged or not?
Pass about the clutch bit- I have no idea. All I know is that for a couple of seconds the sprocket is going round at the same time as the belt, then very slowly for a second, then back to normal. You get the idea. Plus its squealing in a slipping belt way.
BMW rattle - Aprilia
Switch the air-con off and see what happens. This will take the load right off it and it should spin easily. If it still gives trouble then suspect air-con clutch/bearing fault.