Pls help girlie find new car - Vizwhiz
Hi all

Have enjoyed reading the site for a while but never posted before.

Need to replace my Golf GTi with an estate or low backed 4x4. The most important considerations are

1. Easy access for my beloved large hound - jumping over the lip into a hatchback is not good for him (bad hips)
2. Leather seats to minimise the dog hair problem.
3. Im a photographer and trying to sell an image of innovation, quality and fun.
4. Im in my 30s and I DON?T WANT TO BE SENSIBLE YET!

Golf Estate doesnt work because its still the old shape.

Thought about 206 SW ? but couldnt see leather option online. Did it get slated in the JD Power 2005?

Dream option would be the Alfa 157 Sexwagon! Had GTV 2000 years ago and loved it. But its a bit expensive new, second-hand models have bound to have been thrashed and have heard resale value is pants.

Please help think of a creative way of combining the requirements with a budget of only £14K. Hubby would be happy to buy anything to make me happy but Im a being a little tight Scot on this one ? also he will not let me drive anything over three years old. So ideally buy 6 months to year old and keep till three.

Thanks
Oops - 156!
Pls help girlie find new car - Pugugly {P}
I would normally say a nice second hand BMW 3 series touring. But had you thought of an equally nice Rover 75 (BMW) diesel estate - should be as cheap as chips now.
Pls help girlie find new car - PR {P}
If you could stretch a little more my local dealer has a nearly new 156 Sportwagon GTA. It was the owners car from new (I know him) and has only done 3800miles or so. Leather interior aswell. Stonking performance aswell!
Pls help girlie find new car - PR {P}
Sorry, mis read your budget....it might be a little more of a stretch!
Pls help girlie find new car - mlj
Not sure a 156 would 'fit' a large hound! How about a Subaru?
Pls help girlie find new car - DavidHM
Alfa 156 can be had for under £15k new from a broker. Obviously that wouldn't stretch to metallic but an Alfa's suipposed to be read and, as you say, resale value is pants. Leather is £1,200 extra though :-( and the Sportwagon range is smaller and generally more expensive than the saloon.

The other option, as PU says, is a 3 Series touring - £14k will stretch to a one year old if you don't mind a bit of travel and the 316i with about the same power as the old 2.0 (slow) GTi. Finding one with leather might be a challenge too. Failing that, an Audi A4 might be worth a look.

If the brand *name* isn't as important as the car though, my favourite would be a Mazda6 TS2, though again getting it with leather in your budget will be a challenge. Otherwise you'd get something as erm... stylish as a Focus, Astra or Octvaia, but they're probably too sensible for you.

Pls help girlie find new car - VTiredeyes
got the perfect car for you.

www.tiredeyes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/megane%2...g

renault megane sport tourer. 1.9dci. 6 speed, loads of pull, gets in around 55mpg. the top of the range privilege. have a look at specification

www.renault.co.uk/index_uk.html

extras i added from new are
full leather,
xenon headlights, really bright white lights.
rear opening tail gate window, so you could open and check lab is ok. (is it a lab, ours had bad hips too)

its a 54 plate in flame red metalic (UK car)
with 7000 miles. its 6 months old. i use it for work, and get 18ppmile from work, so its in my best interests to drive at 60 mph on motorway, as i get more money! i have used it last 6 months to get to manchester, shrewsbury, oxford, and bodmin.
its well within your budget too.
im looking for a bmw ci coupe. as dont need estate any more.
let me know vizwhiz
Thanks for suggestions so far...

Hubby has a BMW touring but I find it a very heavy car - no disrespect to BMW it's just I'm small.

Never thought of a Subaru - will check them out. But may get sore throat if I had one... you've GOT to say subaru in very deep mock jap accent. Try it!

Just read the reliability index stuff for 156 - not good. George Clooney of the car world - great to look at but not into mutually fulfilling long term relationships.

I know Vauxhalls and Fords drive nicely but... well... you know!

Renault megane sport tourer - good idea - like the sound of yours Vtiredeyes - not quite ready to buy - but how much do you want? Hound is Hungarian Vizsla - wanted lab but scared about hip risk - Sods law! (He was sat beside me this morning when I was trying to think of a name to reg with :-)!!!)

Anybody got experience of the Hyundai Tucson.

Or what about a motorbike and sidecar?

Cheers
i bought it for £19075. with 22% off
£14875
i guess i can let it go for £12K
Pls help girlie find new car - Nickdm
- How about a 1 year old Volvo V40? Loads of them have full leather interior (& nice alloys), and if you can find a 2 litre engine it should keep up with the pace. One of the better-looking estate cars ever made IMHO.
Very pretty new style Astra or Vectra.
Or buy a... ... .Defender ! Bucket loads of cred. 4x4. OK the lab may have to leap a bit. Classles, dead reliable cheap servicing lack of depreciation..... will survive as an urban or rural workhorse, you can park on top of any nasty tinny thing..!
Pls help girlie find new car - bazza
Difficult to fulfill all your needs with one car! Depends on how strong your preferences are. How about an Audi A4 or A6 Avant, at the top of your budget? Kind of logical for a Golf owner??
Or maybe a quick Accord Tourer, or even a Saab 9-5 estate - bit different and more individual. Or going a different route, a Nissan X Trail perhaps, for that adventurous feel?
Baz
Pls help girlie find new car - blue_haddock
How about a nice Rover 75 tourer? should be able to get a decent deal on one ;-)
Pls help girlie find new car - dodo
No question. Focus C Max 2.0 TDCi. Dont laugh. Go try one. Amazing car. {ex BMW 330D Touring owner}
Pls help girlie find new car - jag_driver
Probably won't be enough room for the hound but a photographer friend of mine has a Chrysler PT Cruiser - this is definately a car that you will either love or hate, but it's somewhat whacky, and opting out of the usual BMW / Merc class structure seems to go down very well in artistic circles.

Depreciation is an issue with these though, as it will be with any mainstream estate.
Pls help girlie find new car - Happy Blue!
Best car for Vizwhiz is the Subaru Forester XT. Slightly raised 4x4, but still with a sill lower than many hatchbacks. Great performance, leather seats available, comfy ride even with great alloys. And supreme reliability.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Ah Esp. I wish I'd thought of that....brilliant. Reliable (bit thirsty apparantly) and a bit left field.
I try to oblige Pug.

Thirstly?? Well, yes. I get about 22mpg of a mix of urban driving which includes some short blasts of about 5-10 miles on the M60, nose to tail traffic closer to Manchester city centre and general suburban arterial route driving all around the Manchester conurbation.

My father has a Forester non-Turbo and doesn't get a huge amount more although he has the older model. Both are autos. Suspect the manual turbo (XT) will get about 25mpg for my 22mpg. However, as I only do no more than 12,000 miles pa, the saving if I bought an Audi A3 Sporthatch 2.0Tdi (another alternative for Vizwhiz) which would probably give me 40mpg for the same driving, would be about £1000. The additional cost of the A3 over the Subaru and the rarity factor would persuade me to go Japanese not German.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Pls help girlie find new car - Altea Ego
Dump the poofy Vizsla down the dogs home, get a huge Ford F40 and get a dog like a Malanois that can jump up in it.

RF (owner of a KC registered Lab with super hips and great eyes)

VT, why you get rid of Meganne?
Pls help girlie find new car - madux
Top Tip Of The Month.
While you are looking at estate cars have a look at the way the back seat folds. In our Volvo the seat squab hinges forward first.
With the offside seat folded down completely and the seat back on the nearside left in the vertical position, access from the side is about 4" lower than from the back. Even more if you can park next to a kerb. And the dog-gate still fits. Might be worth looking at large hatchbacks (Mondeo, Vectra etc) to see how they work.

Signed
Madux
Old English Sheepdog with arthritis, hip-displacia, tumour on right knee.
And a heart condition.
Pls help girlie find new car - meditek
BMW 328i Touring. Usually has rear compartment net built it. Goes like s.o.a.s. and has real presence. They last. They look new after 6 years. You can stuff as much in as Jeep grand cherokee. And.......guys always look twice at a female in beemer! (Is this politically incorrect says he looking over his shoulder for the people's police).
Goes like s.o.a.s?????

School of Oriental and African Studies (University of London)???

Didn't realise buildings moved that quickly?
--
Seems you can't edit a message here...very primitive.

Just noticed the 3 years old rubbish. How old is your beloved? I suspect old enough to remember the bad old days when oil pressure dropped and bearings failed after a relatively short period of time.

A properly serviced, relatively low mileage, BMW these days will still feel young after 6 years and be good for 150,000 miles. Try a few. I just sold a 56000 1996 328i Touring I'd had for 6 years for 5.5K and it still felt new.

Pls help girlie find new car - Dynamic Dave
Seems you can't edit a message here...very primitive.

Funny! I dont have that problem myself ;o)
Thanks for all suggestions... definitely some I would never have thought of.

Looked at them all on the web, read zillions of reviews and second hand prices but I'm no neared to a short list. So... I'm going to test drive them ALL !!!!!

The only one I have to rule out is probably the most popular suggestion - a beemer. Himself has a BMW 318 SE - much as they are stonking cars - his and hers versions on the drive are a bit... his and hers!!! (also better for us girlies to have not as good cars as our men - that way when you out to dinner - guess who's car gets used, so guess who can drink! snigger 7 yrs and he's never noticed!)

Oh, there's another to rule out - rover 75! Can explain why ;-)

Meditek - 1. yip - guys DO look twice at woman in a Beemers - why is that??? But it makes it so easy to get out of busy junctions!!! 2. Himself is late 40's and only ever driven company cars. Always get changed at 2 yrs - hence he thinks 3 is ancient!

Well, you all know what's going to happen - I'll spend weeks test driving them all, make a big list with all the pro's and con's - then choose the red one because it matches my lippy!

Thanks again
me me me
mines red
Rf after a bmw coupe. just because i want one ;-)
and dont need to carry as much stuff in back now.
Pls help girlie find new car - Altea Ego
you change your cars more often than i change my socks!
Meditek - 1. yip - guys DO look twice at woman
in a Beemers - why is that??? But it makes it
so easy to get out of busy junctions!!! >>

Well, maybe they so often match the car...attractive, urbane, smooth, well presented and successful. A winning combination because it sets the imagination going. Traffic can be very dull.
Pls help girlie find new car - patently
Welcome to the forum Vizwhiz, btw.

Absolutely the best girlie car is the Boxster, bar none.

The only criteria it has problems with is the dog, so tell hubby that's what his Touring is (now) for. He should be able to keep up if you drive gently.
Pls help girlie find new car - Avant
Go for a diesel Audi A4 Avant (1.9 or even better 2.5) and it'll have hubby's 318 for breakfast. I know I'm biased but it does seem the best compromise between (a) your photographic equipment and unpronounceable Magyar hound, and (b) your desire not to be sensible (absolutely right).

You say you're a tight Scot (presumably when he is driving!) so be a true Scot and get the best value you can, i.e. as much as hubby is prepared to contribute to make you happy. If he's also a Scot he should particularly like the way Audis hold their value.
Pls help girlie find new car - adverse camber
My Spaniels were always v.happy in my Porsche Carrera 4. LHD so got lots of second looks from people being apparently overtaken by a dog. Nobody wants to be a rear seat passenger, Quite good fuel economy too.

Only sold because couldnt get two child seats, dogs and wife in at once.

I would have a look at the mazda 6 estates.

If you want practical join me in a V70tdi, but exciting it isnt.

Pls help girlie find new car - chris_w
What about a new shape Honda Accord Estate. Wouldn't normally suggest this but a friend recently bought one and it's really good - much better than I expected, to be honest.

Reckon you could get a one year old one (with a bit of haggling) within your budget and they have what looks to be a very low boot line. And they come with nice VTEC engines, so should be fun to drive... and it's a Honda so it should go on forever.
apparently overtaken by a dog....

Brill....

I have a LHD Landie and the Springer sits in the Passanger seat. I never overtake but trundling gently through towns, the look (especially on visitors') faces says it all.....well worth having a
left hooker just for that !
I've actually seen a lot of dogs driving the RHD versions.
With a wet nose,floppy ears and a tail ?
Dunno about the tail cos it's below eye level...it's possible a few have one!

Passed a BMW (Bad Man Working)with heavily tinted windows in Leicester the other day. Thought it was the invisible man.
Thanks - great fun reading recent posts!!!

Years ago I saw the guy (David McCallum??), who played the Invisible Man in the stable lads canteen at Ascot racecourse. I was only 16 and V V cheeky! I walked into him at full tilt and fell about laughing saying 'Oops sorry I didn't see you there" Can't think WHY he didn't find it as funny as I did!
excellent !