Odd Junction - Where? - clariman
I remember reading a few years ago about a strange motorway junction whereby traffic joining the motorway joined in the right hand (fastest) lane.

Can anyone remember this and are there pictures on the web about this.

A google search has proved fruitless.

Ta.
Odd Junction - Where? - smokie
ISTR there are off-ramps (maybe on-ramps too) on the m'way that runs through Glasgow, and doesn't the M5 merge into the M4 in the outside lane?
Odd Junction - Where? - BazzaBear {P}
There's a bit of the M60, just anti-clockwise of Stockport which seems to do this. I'm not sure (as I've never joined there, or paid attention to which junction it is) but I think it may be another motorwaay joining.
It's a strange junction, the right lane of the motorway peels off slightly, then joins back in afterwards, I assume this is an attempt to reduce the likelihood of trucks trying to occupy the same space.
Odd Junction - Where? - BobbyG
Junction like this on M8 approaching Glasgow Westbound. The slip road comes onto the motorway as an extra right hand lane and then about one mile on, the same lane becomes an off ramp for the next junction!
Odd Junction - Where? - SjB {P}
You are likely recalling the original M40/M42 junction when the M40 extension first opened. Traffic joining from the M40 to the M42 anti clockwise found itself joining in the outside lane.

Thankfully, common sense prevailed, and the junction has long since been remodelled to a more conventional format where the M42 traffic cedes to M40 traffic.
Odd Junction - Where? - patently
You are likely recalling the original M40/M42 junction when the M40
extension first opened. Traffic joining from the M40 to the
M42 anti clockwise found itself joining in the outside lane.

Yes - that's the one. I remember the yokel news reports about it.
Odd Junction - Where? - clariman
>> You are likely recalling the original M40/M42 junction when the
M40
>> extension first opened. Traffic joining from the M40 to
the
>> M42 anti clockwise found itself joining in the outside lane.
>>
Yes - that's the one. I remember the yokel news
reports about it.

Any on line photos of the original junction / press reports?
Odd Junction - Where? - frazerjp
Yep my dad once got caught out joining the M42, staying on the outside lane for about a mile with a white van man on his backside whilst cruising at 70mph, how embarassing!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Odd Junction - Where? - hjd
There's one terrible junction like this on the central motorway in Newcastle-on-Tyne - you can join from the right and cross right over to leave on the left 100 metres further.
Odd Junction - Where? - Citroënian {P}
>>Newcastle

Better still, approach that from the haymarket and you get to join on a blind corner from a standstill and have to get across two lanes to get to the junction, with only 150 yards before the fun bit described above.

I driven in some mad places, but that junction, a quarter of a mile from my old house, was (is) nuts.
-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Odd Junction - Where? - Phil J
Well, there is definately on near Stockport (Bredbury)- Junction 26 anti-clockwise. I work in stockport so I use it all the time. I'm not sure about pictures but it's a seriously wierd setup. The inside lane is separated about 500 yards before the junction, turning it into a two lane strech, then the slip road becomes the outside lane, and the separated lane then merges back into the 1st lane about 250 yards after.

It's fun following a HGV on to it when people in the middle lane don't let it pull in!

Odd Junction - Where? - cheddar
M20/M25 and M6/M6toll IIRC
Odd Junction - Where? - IanJohnson
Worst I have seen is M6/A34 near Walsall (J7). Leaving the M6 southbound you join the inside lane (i.e. lane nearest the centre) of the roundabout and in about 20-30 yards have to filter through the traffic trying to joint the M6 northbound which leaves the roundabout from the same lane. IMO is more dangerous when it is quiet and traffic is flowing faster.
Odd Junction - Where? - pastyman
Hi there, joining the M11 from the A406 north circular clockwise, you will join the M11 in the outside lane, albeit at a reduced speed of 50mph, this was higher a few years ago.

Pastyman....
Odd Junction - Where? - Citroënian {P}
I knew I remembered the website : for the pure enthusiast anorak junction authorities out there :

www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.