Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - GreatestDancer
Ok so did anyone else notice the news on Saturday - 4th news item behind the Pope's funeral, the royal wedding and Rover's demise was that little matter that petrol prices are now the highest they've ever been....

We had the UK fuel crisis when prices were about 10p a litre below what they are now??!! Isn't it time we all went on strike and abandoned our cars and stayed at home all day? Go on the weather's turned nice....

Rich
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Round The Bend
Up to you if you don't want to use your car. However anyone planning to blockade the refineries/garages won't get my support.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Altea Ego
It may have something to do with the secretary of state. He was given extra powers after the last one. Hauliers and Farmers (the driving force behind the last one) were appropriately warned.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Truckosaurus
After the last 'blockade', (which didn't actually block anything, the truck drivers refused to go out of the compound, and then panic buying lead to shortages.), The Man will now use brute force (both Police and Army) to ensure the tankers keep on the road, plus garages now carry larger reserves in their storage tanks, and Military bases have filled their storage tanks up as well (there is a military oil pipeline, so they can pump it around the country as and when needed).

How that I've got a car with a 700mile range, I could drive to work for a month without hassle, or drive to the nearest train station and back for 100days.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Chas{P}
Been done and they would be prepared this time.

Can't say anything more or this thread will turn political.

Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - NowWheels
Wot's the govt supposed to do about the high prices?

Ban lottsa cars from the road to reduce demand?

Or invade a major oil-producing country to get a stranglehold on supplies? (Come to think of it, that rings a bell somewhere ...)
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Orson {P}
They could do something about reducing the large amount of tax from each litre - about the highest tax in the world, with the possible exception of one or two Nordic countries. Even 5p a litre would not cause an undue amount of hassle for the Treasury, especially given the better than average receipts from things like inheritance tax, stamp duty and so on. Don't forget, the top rate of VED has just gone up as well.
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - trancer
"Even 5p a litre would not cause an undue amount of hassle for the Treasury"

Maybe not, but then it wouldn't make any difference to my wallet either.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Orson {P}
Well, filling the Jag up would be about £4 cheaper. That's a gallon of anyone's money.
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - BazzaBear {P}

Ignoring for a moment the argument as to whether they should do or not, surely the answer to that is obviously reduce the tax burden on petrol?
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - patently

Well, in simple terms, the majority of the price is made up of tax, which is in the direct control of HMG.

Now, the tax is said to be in order to raise the price of petrol artificially to a level where the demand will fall off to a more acceptable level, for environmental reasons. Now, if that hypothesis were correct, a rise in the basic pre-tax price would imply that a reduction in the tax was appropriate. After all, the desired artificial price has not changed.

Of course, the tax reduction should be less than the basic rise, so that the incentives for the petrol producers and retailers remain in place. But a tax reduction of 50-75% would be appropriate, if that hypothesis is correct.

The alternative hypothesis is that the green justification for motoring taxes is all just a cover story and that HMG's aim is to squeeze as much out of us as is possible, but in politically correct ways so that they can claim with a straight face that they are sticking to their promises with regard to taxation. That hypothesis would suggest that petrol tax should remain the same or rise over the years, regardless of the basic price of the product.

Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Ex-Moderator
The Government spends a chunk of money. That comes from tax. Part of that tax is upon motoring in various forms, of which one is fuel.

If you would like lower fuel tax, then you either tax something else more or you spend less money on something.

So, decide what you'd like to pay more tax on, or decide what you don't want the government to spend money on.

And then make your feelings felt and opinions heard, especially in May.

But if you think that tax on fuel, or anywhere else, is going to be reduced and that'll be the end of that, then you are being naive in the extreme.
If you would like lower fuel tax,

Yup. And various others taxes, too.
then you either tax
something else more or you spend less money on something.

Suits me!
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - smokie
Why do people not realise that, like it or not, the Govt has to raise money and that's mostly done through taxation. So even if they reduced the duty/tax on petrol, you'd pay another way.

I have no clue about actual numbers, but fuel revenue must be one of the larger producers of revenue and is widely spread across the population at large, so would therefore seem to be an effective and efficient way of raising that amount.

I bet those that moan that taxation of this or that is too high are also those that moan when services are cut. However, that's the only way to reduce the tax burden (or even keep it static).

Well, that, and sell off the family jewels (privatisation/PFI). PFI is scandalous. The companies that entered into it intiially are now selling their stake at huge multiples of what they paid. The Govt also made short term gains from sale of UK assets (e.g. tax offices) then leasing back, which long term HAS to cost more...But that's not motoring... :-)
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Rishab C
[snip] trying to avoid party politics and mobile phones is definitely off topic. Mark.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - chris_w
The government aren't the only people cleaning up here... BP made somewhere around £10 billion last year... so they are not exactly squeezing prices their end. I know the overall profit percentage per litre is low, but they are able to change the prices if they want.

To be able to control a natural resource that is so in demand and make huge profits from it seems a little unfair to me... but that's life. I'd love petrol to be 50p a litre so I didn't watch my MPG clock so much!
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - VTiredeyes
tax fags more
spend it on hospitals.

tax fuel more, spend it on roads.

tax beer more, spend it on nightclubs

vote for Vtiredeyes :-)

tax nightclubs more, give out fags on prescription. (would reduce pensions liabilities)

Vote for smokie... :-)
Which reminds me...

A man walks into a shop...

Customer: "Worcester sauce flavour crisps please"

Shopkeeper: "Sorry can't, it's off the shelves, cancer scare."

Customer: "Oh right, Chinese Chicken Wings?"

Shopkeeper: "Ah that's the same. Cancer scare"

Customer: "Hamburger Relish?"

Shopkeeper: "Cancer scare"

Customer: "Sausage and Mash?"

Shopkeeper: "Cancer scare"

Customer: "Cottage Pie?"

Shopkeeper: "Yes, ...no wait, Cancer scare."

Customer: "So they're all off the shelves because of a Cancer scare?"

Shopkeeper: "Yes"

Customer: (sigh) "Just give me 20 Benson & Hedges then..."

Shopkeeper: "Certainly. £4.50 please."
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Mudguts
I would welcome the idea of a fuel protest. It won't affect me for a while. I have enough "jerry" and smaller cans to last me a some time. Also last time there was panic buying I fuelled both our cars (fully) plus some cans at 11 pm (when the queues had stopped).

Don't bother telling me about the legalities of storing petrol, I don't care. 16 year old disqualified drink drivers only get six months for causing death by dangerous driving. What can I expect?

20 lines?

Prepare yourselves and sit it out gents: It's going to happen (hopefully).
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Civic8
Mudguts. feel free to store what you like regardless of laws..Just remember Jerry cans as any other are explosive.regardless of conditions stored..I hardly think 20 lines is going to help you. if it all goes up and everything else with it.including family...Not something I would want to remember..Fuel protest I agree with/But not to extent I would risk life/Family for
--
Steve
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Big Bad Dave
"BP made somewhere around £10 billion last year..."

Why shouldn?t they? They prospect for it, they build huge drilling wells, they drill for it, they bring it up from miles below the surface, they build huge refineries, they refine it, they buy tankers, they transport it, they build petrol stations and occasionally, depending where you live, pump it into your tank for you.

Tell me what the government does for its 80%
Er...supplies a whole infrastructure for the UK.

The £10bn is PROFIT. That's AFTER they've taken out all their costs - drilling, transporting paying people etc etc.

Of course, there is another non-motoring rant I could start about large multi nationals that are evading paying literally billions of pounds of tax by shifting their HQs around. The tax lawyers are getting fat, the company share holders are getting fat, all at the expense of the Good Ole UK taxpayer.

That includes you btw.

But it's non motoring so I won't mention it.
"Er...supplies a whole infrastructure for the UK"

Oh the infrastructure, of course. I remember the UK infrastructure from the 35 years I lived there. Can?t remember it being being much value for money though.

But I do remember losing years of my life crawling through London traffic, sitting on broken down trains, waiting for broken down trains, miles of closed motorway lanes, cones, cones, cones, cones, taking 11 hours to drive London/Manchester on a Friday, hours in tube tunnels, an hour to get round Hammersmith roundabout, endless pointless roadworks.

A round of applause ladies and gentlemen for the government for achieving so little at such an enormous cost. Please can I come back? Please?
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Stuartli
>>BP made somewhere around £10 billion last year...>>

Petrol is a waste product of oil refining and forms a very small percentage of an oil company's overall revenue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - MW
I have never understood WHY petrol should be cheap. Extensive empirical evidence has shown time and time again the cheap petrol = large cars. Just look at the USA. Expensive petrol = ...
small cars
efficient cars
people think about making a journey
industrial R and D is focused on efficiency
the drive for efficiency never falls away
pollution is reduced
oil imports are lower
UK is less dependant on the unstable Middle East
public transport comes under middle class pressure
the link between GNP growth and oil usage is reduced

As oil usage is always a 'bad' but necessary thing, taxing it makes sence. Taxing labour a 'good' thing, does not.
The UK position is laudable. Look at the conjestion charge. Nobody, including me likes it, BUT it makes the population think, and do the right thing. It works.
I have never heard anyone favour cheap petrol who drove the smallest, most efficient car. I would get rid of the fixed cost of road tax, and put 30p on petrol. Far more economically efficient.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - cheddar
Global oil prices are startingto fall due to the ability of the producers to meet US domestic demand better than expected over the last few months therefore we should see lower prices on the forecourts within a week or so.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - meditek
I not only look at the USA but live there as often as I can. The place has a sense of freedom and purpose which reminds me of my childhood days. I like gas at £1 a gallon which is why I always hire a Cadillac when we are there, which gives 22 MPG btw.

Anyway, to address the issues (OK I'm no politician so I'll try and be honest) :-

small cars. Why?
efficient cars. Why?
people think about making a journey. Why should they?
industrial R and D is focused on efficiency. Not required.
the drive for efficiency never falls away. Not required.
pollution is reduced So you leave the city!
oil imports are lower. So you take over Iraq.
UK is less dependant on the unstable Middle East. So the war WAS a nonsense?
public transport comes under middle class pressure - What a laugh! I'd never be seen dead on public transport.
the link between GNP growth and oil usage is reduced. A truism.

Cheap petrol = nice big comfortable cars = a country that can spend on roads to accommodate them = high earning hard working people = SUCCESS

"Cheap petrol = nice big comfortable cars = a country that can spend on roads to accommodate them = high earning hard working people = SUCCESS"

Do you have any idea of the serious level of debt the United States has amassad since Clinton left office?
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - pdc {P}
Yesterday saw a milestone for me. For the first time in my life it cost over £50 to fill my tank. :-(
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Thommo
Chris,

BP is a vast transnational company so you state the profit as a bold number it looks wonderful. You express it in other terms such as return on capital then it don't look so hot. Everything is relative. Also nobody cried for the oil companies when crude was $12 a barrel.

Happy to see that this thread notes that 80% of UK pump prices is tax and in the case of VAT tax on tax and that the price of crude is really a fairly minor factor in regard to pump prices.

Finally as someone who was working for an oil major at the time when Blair called the oil industry bosses in to Number 10 we all howled with laughter. The oil industry hasn't run tankers for decades since they were held to ransom by the unions in the '70s. Also I don't blame the tanker drivers for refusing to leave the depot. It only takes one idiot on a motorway bridge with a lump of concrete...
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - bimmer-driver
If there is another strike then I definitely wont support it. Governments need to raise funds through tax. Thats how it works in the real world, and if the tax on petrol was reduced another tax would go up to compensate.
The simple way to pay less for petrol is to get a more economical car.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - redafour
I always thought the last so called "petrol strike" was really about the spiralling price of road going derv driving hauliers out of business.
If there is another strike then I definitely wont support it.
Governments need to raise funds through tax. Thats how it works
in the real world, and if the tax on petrol was
reduced another tax would go up to compensate.
The simple way to pay less for petrol is to get
a more economical car.

Well, you could ask yourself where your tax actually goes and whether, like Americans, if you weren't soaked dry by taxation you'd put your money into the world's best health care and a pension plan for your retirement. Rather makes people want to go out and earn it!

It's called freedom of choice.

Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - nortones2
But the American system has drawbacks. If you can't afford it, or are unprepared, or become unemployed, or redundant, or have been seriously ill and hence disqualified for future insurance, you and the 40,000,000 in this category are not covered. If your insurance runs out, be prepared for bankruptcy. Not unlike the UK before the NHS, with all its faults.
But the American system has drawbacks. If you can't afford
it, or are unprepared, or become unemployed, or redundant, or
have been seriously ill and hence disqualified for future insurance, you
and the 40,000,000 in this category are not covered. If
your insurance runs out, be prepared for bankruptcy. Not unlike the
UK before the NHS, with all its faults.

I agree entirely but Americans try and make sure they can afford it (about £1000/yr at 60), prepare themselves from leaving college (pension scheme), get another job double quick without getting bogged down in litigation hoping for a cherry (unless rich anyway). The disqualification isn't entirely correct.

Either way, the system does not encourage taxation for the funding of over fertile dead beats like here.
Governments need to raise funds through tax.

Yes.

But not this much.
>> Governments need to raise funds through tax.
Yes.
But not this much.

Indeed not! On a recent (enforced) trip to a Morrison's supermarket I observed a fair proportion of my tax being spent on lottery items by the unemployed while the trolleys were filled with loaves of bread and frozen chips. Can't wait to get back Stateside.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - mjm
The government has no interest in keeping the price of fuel, or any other taxable goods down. The higher the price, the more tax they collect. The cost of fuel will never be shown to affect the rate of inflation, the figures will be "adjusted".
What really needs to be sorted out is how the tax is spent.
In my neck of the woods there is no real, sensible, alternative to using a car. The chancellor(well, he isn't at the moment) has a large captive well of funds, and he knows it.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - PhilW
"Governments need to raise funds through tax. Thats how it works in the real world, and if the tax on petrol was reduced another tax would go up to compensate."

Always assuming that the tax is used efficiently of course. Didn't some recent survey reckon that 75% of any increased tax never reached its target but was swallowed by increased administration costs? And on a motoring theme why has the Tinsley viaduct onthe M1 been undegoing "bridge strengthening works" for about twice as long as it took the French to put up the Millau Viaduct? Do we use all this tax efficiently?

Well getting rapidly off subject here but:

"Governments need to raise funds through tax. Thats how it works in the real world, and if the tax on petrol was reduced another tax would go up to compensate."

Taxing people is an inherently poor way of doing anything as you take money off people filter it through a hugely expensive bureaucracy and then spend whats left on whats needed. Thus governments should only raise what is needed to do things that only government can do. Everything else should be left to the private sector.
In addition to the more obvious forms of taxation in Europe there is a 'hidden' form which accounts for the fact that to build a £100,000 house in the USA would cost you £300,000 here and that a top spec Jeep Grand Cherokee costs £32000 here and £12000 in the US.

This extra 'taxation' is a result of the EU rules regarding working habits, conditions and materials which add hugely to the cost of everything here. A builder friend told me the latest raft of regulations would add 25% to the cost of building.

So, if you multiply the cost of US petrol by the Euro factor of 3, and adjust for difference in the size of the gallon, you end up with about £3.25/gallon which isn't too far off.

The Euro economy is based on paying 'more for less' for both items and services. Unfortunately, with measured quantities such as fuel, they can't reduce the amount in the package with the result that the price is 'artificially' inflated.

David
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - nick
It's very difficult to compare different cultures. Sure things are cheaper in the US, but here you get 6 weeks annual holiday rather than 2 weeks, different health systems, free prescription drugs for the elderly, maternity/paternity leave etc etc. Whether one system is better than the other depends very much from where in society you view it. For you, the US seems better, good for you. But others are happier with a different outlook. Each to their own.
The US also has huge economies of scale with a large domestic market which we don't have, plenty of land and little regard for environmental issues especially if they cost anything.
My opinion is that a blend of the two is the goal to aim for. A bit less government/EU regulation here, but try to achieve a fair and efficient public sector providing health care etc.
Mind you, I'd love a Cherokee for £12k!
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - GrahamF1
Why not legally force the fuel retailers to fix their prices for certain lengths of time, adjustable perhaps every six months with government agreement?

They are the ones in the business, not consumers. They should be taking the risk on the fluctuation of raw material prices, not consumers.

Does the price of bread fluctuate on a daily basis to reflect daily changes in the price of flour? Of course not. Do B&Q change the price of screws on a daily basis to reflect world steel markets? Of course not. Most business accept that by being in a particular business they take a risk on the price of raw materials, and that their margins will alter as raw material prices change.

Why should the automotive fuel market operate in this unusual way? Why do they enforce a fixed margin and pass on any price increase immediately to consumers?
Does the price of bread fluctuate on a daily basis to reflect
daily changes in the price of flour?

Not daily, no. But it does fluctuate.

The answer to your "why not" question is to be found in the recent history of California. They asked the same question about their electricity suppliers.
The horrifying thing about all this is that :-

a) Labour will increase taxes one way or another.

b) Conservatives will make savings and pay for them with increased taxes or so it sounds.

c) The Liberals will increase everything.

So where do you go. Over 50% of my income disappears in taxes already!
So where do you go. Over 50% of my income disappears
in taxes already!

Look what's happened to corporation tax over the last few decades, and you'll see why personal incomes are getting hit.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Baskerville
As far as I recall the federal and state tax burden on John Doe and his family in Hicksville USA accounts for about 40% of income and that's without the benefits we get in the UK*. So you're kidding yourself if you think the Americans are much better off on that score. Wealthy Americans are certainly taxed less than wealthy Brits and some things cost less there (the low cost of wood means houses are cheap for example), but your average American gets hit pretty hard on just about everything but auto fuel and still has to find money for healthcare etc.

What amazes me about this debate is that we complain about inefficiency in just about every area of life except motoring, where it seems to be a good thing for many people.

*In the late 1990s/early 00s I worked on a reference book project that involved researching the American welfare system.
So you're kidding yourself if you think the Americans are
much better off on that score.

Many, many items are the same price in $ as they are in £.

And dear sweet Gordon took 81% of my cash income last year. I'd dream of a mere 40% take. The next member of my staff who asks for a new PC is going to get a swift explanation of why there is no spare cash floating around.

BTW, for our staff we work on an assumption that the effective total tax take is 50%.

>Many, many items are the same price in $ as they are in £.

True, but then Americans are paid in $ and the point applies also to goods that do not (necessarily*) attract tax, such as books.

Average income in the UK is now about £22,000 and in the USA about $36,000. Since the average American worker is 40% more productive than your average Brit that looks about right. However with $1 currently worth about 53p, no wonder they are horrified by our fuel prices and no wonder the USA looks cheap to us; do a straight swap £ for $ and it's not though.

*depends on which state you're in.
>Many, many items are the same price in $ as they
are in £.
True, but then Americans are paid in $ and the point
applies also to goods that do not (necessarily*) attract tax, such
as books.
Average income in the UK is now about £22,000 and in
the USA about $36,000. Since the average American worker is 40%
more productive than your average Brit that looks about right. However
with $1 currently worth about 53p, no wonder they are horrified
by our fuel prices and no wonder the USA looks cheap
to us; do a straight swap £ for $ and it's
not though.

The point about the same prices is that a consumer item retailing here at £10 often retails there at $10, not $18.86 (at 0.53£/$).

So we earn £22,000 and lose about 50% leaving £11,000. They earn about $36,000, lose about 40% and therefore have about $21,600 left. If $1=nominally 53p but actual retail prices are often at parity, then they have a equivalent sterling spending power of somewhere betwen £11,448 and £21,600. Bear in mind that the $ vs £ is also at a historically low figure at present.

Obviously Gordon Brown has it spot on and the US Treasury is way off the mark, then.
>Bear in mind that the $ vs £ is also at a historically low figure at present.

Oh I know, a large proportion of my income is paid in $.

We're way off topic here, but of course to work out what their actual spending power is you have to account for things our state provides and take that out of the final figure as well; an American friend of mine lost his house because his $3 million medical insurance only lasted a year and he was sick for three. He is practically uninsurable now. Actually the very rich and the low paid pay less income tax than their equivalents here, but the cost of goods is not comparable for all the reasons outlined in other posts plus the fact that American sales taxes are hardly ever in the headline figure on the shelf; VAT is usually included by retailers here.
The next member of my staff who asks for a new PC
is going to get a swift explanation of why there is
no spare cash floating around.

Presumably the swift explanation is that despite cashflow problems, the boss has used taken enough cash out of the business for his Porsche etc, and hasn't left enough to ensure that his staff have the tools for the job?
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - barney100
Just come back from the States and was talking to an American motorist who was paying $2 odd for a gallon. He couldn,t believe that we paid what we do for fuel. Even more amusing was his reaction to the notion of road tax that produced a look of utter disbelief. Seeking to make Britain seem a good place to live I mentioned our national health and how much Americans paid in health insurance, he contributed $20 a month and his employers picked uo the tab for the rest...this bloke is a bellboy! He is able to commute from LA to Laghlin every day...about two hours... in a newish 4BY4 and make a good living...crazy world.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - David Horn
I just found an old diesel receipt in a wallet I haven't used for two years. I bought 38.73 litres at my local Texaco station and it cost me £29.01.

Today, at the same station, the same amount would cost £35.23.

We have over 100 litres in the fuel tank on our horsebox, so running low in my car isn't a problem if there is a strike - ROLL IT ON!
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Xileno {P}
Had to fill up the Renault this morning with diesel. 92p a litre. Ouch!
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - L'escargot
I just found an old diesel receipt in a wallet I
haven't used for two years.

Presumably you had to buy another wallet because the first was completely full!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Just come back from the States and was talking to an
American motorist who was paying $2 odd for a gallon. He
couldn,t believe that we paid what we do for fuel. Even
more amusing was his reaction to the notion of road tax
that produced a look of utter disbelief. Seeking to make Britain
seem a good place to live I mentioned our national health
and how much Americans paid in health insurance, he contributed $20
a month and his employers picked uo the tab for the
rest...this bloke is a bellboy! He is able to commute from
LA to Laghlin every day...about two hours... in a newish 4BY4
and make a good living...crazy world.

Every country has to balance its books, and every country achieves this according to its own circumstances. The US of A has more natural resources and a more prosperous economy generally than does the UK. Whatever the price of fuel I would still prefer to live in the UK than in America.
--
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - nick
Comparing the USA and the UK is like comparing apples and oranges. The USA is a vast country with a huge population giving massive economies of scale which we can't hope to match. It also has high immigration of young workers willing to work for not much money, often illegally, giving a big boost to productivity and GDP growth. Such a situation just couldn't be replicated here. Europe as a whole, and the UK in particular, are going to need a big influx of young workers as our populations age but this will be painful politically.

BTW Mods, not much motoring here is there?
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - No Do$h
BTW Mods, not much motoring here is there?

There's an election approaching, tax is being discussed here, motoring is taxed.....

It suits me to let this one sit. I suspect the other mods have a similar view. I'm pretty confident HJ is happy to let this one run for the moment as well.

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
So we work for between 6 and 9 months (see 80% above) for the taxman and it's going to get WORSE!

Apart from free health (say £500/annum cf USA) I, personally, see virtually nothing for the rest. I can't speak for the Home Counties but further North the roads are falling into disrepair and inadequate. Services are getting fewer and fewer (now only empty our waste bin once a fortnight!) towns are dirty and unswept. Meanwhile, I see the recipients of benefits queueing for gambling tickets, loading their 4x4's with lager and going home to drown their sorrows with a few spliffs. I simply don't want my tax spent on this sort of thing which is why I prefer the American way.
If sowmone offered me a job in Houston you wouldn't see me for vapour trails.

NHS? MRSANHS if you ask me.

So we work for between 6 and 9 months (see 80%
above) for the taxman and it's going to get WORSE!

No, that's rubbish. My mortgage alone is about 20% of my income, so I think Patently needs a new tax adviser.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - helicopter
ChrisR- I think you will find that some of us , including Patently earn annually a figure that attracts a higher level of tax than others..
Sorry, tongue was firmly in cheek but maybe not clear. He also said cash income, which makes a difference.
He also said cash income, which makes a difference.

Quite right. It is an unfortunate consequence of a number of factors:

- a nasty stamp duty bill on moving house
- being taxed on income that consists of bills sent to clients who have not yet paid me
- capital gains tax in respect of a sale for which the payment was, by agreement, deferred. Sadly, the payment date slipped further and I have now had to pay capital gains tax on a sale for which I haven't been paid.
- a major business expense being classed as personal not business, despite all the relevant facts showing that it is are actually a business expense

Basically, because the IR is entitled to assume that I am out to defraud them at every step, each and every rule is set up in their favour so that I can't wriggle. This means that my taxable income bears no relation to my cash income. Perhaps I should learn something from this.

Somewhere there is a hospital or school with my name on it.

It's not a tax advisor issue. Several different ones agree. They all sound sympathetic, which is really useful :-(

Would be ok if I could spend the taxable income. :-D
It is unwise to attract the attention of the Inland Revenue who have powers the Gestapo would have been jealous of.

Periodically, they target certain types of business or profession. However squeaky clean you are, they will either find or invent something based on the bad behaviour of other people in similar businessess. Unbelievably, a tax inspector now gets a proportion of any winnings 'it' achieves!!

Having been through an investigation some years ago I know. Last year they turned their sights on my daughter's partner. They found nothing in the books that they could prove amiss but because he is in a cash business, and many of his peer group do fiddle, they came up with an arbitary estimate of £2000 owed!!

He was told that if he complained or appealed then they would return and go back the full 7 years which sounds tanamount to blackmail to me!

meditek - Mrs P has been there. In her case, she was "wrongly" accepted the IR's calculations as to the refund she was owed. A different IR officer reviewed the file (why??), disagreed and, on the basis of the same information as that given when claiming the refund, opened an investigation into "her" fraudulent claim.

She still froths at the mouth when you mention that lot.
Based on average earnings, the cost of petrol of 37p/gallon in 1973 would have risen to £4.32/gallon (95p/litre) in 2002. So the actual price of petrol today isn't that bad really. (Retracts head into shell to avoid the flack!)
--
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - madux
Quite right mr Snail. In 1973 I never had enough money to fill up my moped and now, er, it still costs a fortune to fill up the Volvo.
At least EVERYONE has to pay it!!! Though I'm still puzzled when I see Mr. Large and even larger family filling up at my expense. How do I know? I used to be their doctor.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Oz
So, what's happening on the Continent with diesel prices? As I heard it, the (e.g.) French lorry drivers now have extra large fuel tanks so they can complete their entire UK itinerary on French fuel prices, competing very effectively, merci, with UK hauliers who are lumbered with local UK fuel prices.
Oz (as was)
Ever tried rounding up the price of things that come in bottles etc to a gallon! Petrol suddenly looks cheap.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - blue_haddock
The cider i'm currently drinking is £1.59 per 500ml - eek thats over 14 quid a gallon!

Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - pdc {P}
but do you get through over 15 gallons a week?
8< snip 8<

political rabblings removed.

DD.
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - Altea Ego
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/frontpag...m

Fuel tax protesters are threatening to disrupt the general election with a campaign of oil refinery blockades and go-slows starting on 3 May.
The Fuel Lobby's Andrew Spence said the action would go ahead if the government did not bring down tax on fuel.

Hundreds of hauliers and farmers are to attend a meeting in Stirling, Scotland, to protest against high fuel prices.

fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - Ex-Moderator
[sigh]

Did these protestors state which tax they wanted to increase in place of fuel duty ? Or perhaps they stated those areas of spending which they no longer wished to occur ?

Or are they relying on a miracle and extra dosh appearing out of the ether ?

Or perhaps they just aren't that bright and don't really understand ?
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - Rishab C
You only need tax if you are going to spend, and boy do Labour like spending/wasting it!
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - bhoy wonder
Yes lets have a fuel strike.What do they spend the money on with these taxes that they raise or schools are run down, NHS is on its knees( Get rid of all the managers and replace them with matrons)or roads are a disgrace ( I play dodge the pot holes driving home).The buses and trains are a disgrace. The only people who seem to get anything are the ones that do not work. I was watching a programme on the BBC called skint the other night. He does not work she has never worked (4 or 5 kids and another one on the way) and they get £500 to go out and buy the baby new cloths and a pram.Can I have some please.
A good way to save money is to make all the the nice people in prison (£36000 per prisoner per year). Get them slopping out and get them out fixing the roads etc etc and take away there hifi, television and games consoles. We cant do that can we that would be infringing on there cival rights. What about the person who has to walk about with a scar on there face or a lot worse what about there rights.

I think I have went off on a rant, but I feel much better.
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - Stuartli
There's at least one group planning a fuel strike again:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/frontpag...m
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - holly1
Although I dont like paying high prices for fuel, I do not believe that another round of fuel protests is the right way of going about it. So, you blockade the fuel plants, and who do you think that is going to hurt? It certainly doesnt hurt those in power - the ones you need to get at - it hurts ordinary people who without fuel cannot get to their jobs. Blockades at oil refinaries wont affect the government, they no doubt already have their own source of fuel and the certainly couldnt care less about how such protests would affect the people of the country.

How about doing something which directly affects them and not those people who are already suffering?
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - Avant
Entirely agree with Daisy1. This is the same issue as the proposed M4 speed camera protes in another thread. Protesters like this weaken, not strengthen, their case (a good one in both instances) by action whose only effect is to inconvenience the general public.
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - PR {P}
Im sorry but I disagree. I agree with the point that it is very inconvenient to the public, but it also gets to the politicians. During the blockade last time, IIRC, the tories went above labour for the only time in many years in all the opinion polls. Also, since then we have had very few (if any?) increases in fuel duty.
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - patently
It certainly doesnt hurt those in power

I remember the press conferences. The one where he promised the trucks would roll in 24 hours, particularly. He looked pretty hurt to me.

Just like the time the WI slow-clapped him - suddenly he realised that not everyone loved him and that his silly grin wasn't going to help.

Poor chap.
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - El Hacko
right now, just as effective as a blockade "protest" by commercial users, would be for each motorist to let every Labour Parliamentary candidate (harass 'em in public and at mtgs) know how we feel about the scandalous rate of fuel duty levelled by the Govt. Little of the tax is put back into the roads system, while ever more of our money is spent on creating yet more public service jobs.
Time, in fact, for a Motorists' Party!
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - Stuartli
do Labour like spending/wasting it!>>

But a Labour government has never been any different - that's why the party was only in power for 30 of the 100 years prior to its 1997 victory.

Even then it took over a very respectable economy, something that a certain Mr Brown was careful not to reveal after inspecting the "books".....

Some people tend to think that taxes raised from particular fields, for instance road and/or fuel tax, are earmarked purely for use within those areas; in this case most people would assume for new roads etc.

It's not so. It all just goes into one big pot and whatever is required (or wasted as the case may be) is taken out as necessary.
fuel strike? 3rd may it seems - Burnout2
If a tax is iniquitous (and 70%+ might just be described as such), then it is iniquitous. Why should it be incumbent on the protestors to balance the budget on behalf of Mr. Brown when he's proven incapable of managing the feat himself? It's hardly as if the revenue from fuel-duty is ring-fenced for schools'n'ospitals.

In fact, why not just increase the PSBR by another few billion? The last time I can remember any government spending within its means was 1988, and that didn't last long...
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - turbo11
If we the motorist don't get off our backsides and let the government know that the amount of tax on fuel is unacceptable,we will soon be facing £1 a litre.Many operators in ur road haulage industry are facing ruin.Although i don't drive a lorry, i am certainly prepared to join any fuel protests in my area.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - The Lawman
We would tolerate the tax on fuel even less if garages routinely displayed 2 prices, one before tax and one after tax. This would remind us every time we fill up how much is contributed in tax. Round the whole experience off by buying some fags as well...

As others have pointed out, the debate is really about how much tax is taken over all. If revenues are to stay neutral and tax on fuel is to be lowered, something else will have to rise, or so the argument goes.

Funny isn't it how that principle never seems to work in reverse. House price rises have brought ever more people into the realms of inheritance tax. Nil rate bands have not kept pace with earnings, so many more are paying 40% income tax. Revenue has risen as a result, but the actual rate of tax nevers seems to drop to compensate. Politicians crave power. They get it by taking away our money and spending it for us. In my book, a protest against any form of tax is good news. The alternative is choosing between two parties who are in competition with each other about how much tax they will raise and money they will spend, and the tories whose tax cutting plans are so small as to fall within the 5% margin for error.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - PR {P}
The idea mentioned (about variable tax levels depending on oil price) seems excellent to me. Oil price goes up, so petrol tax (duty or VAT) goes down to compensate. Because the high oil price means bigger profits for oil companies, HM government take in more corporation tax and royalties, so no dent in public spending. At the minute, Mr Brown wins on all levels.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - ihpj
The idea mentioned (about variable tax levels depending on oil price)
seems excellent to me. Oil price goes up, so petrol tax
(duty or VAT) goes down to compensate.

I think you hit it spot on my man. If 'only' though! - we don't actually realise how much we pay for in tax on fuel. yes Govt. need to raise revenue through taxation - we're all for that, but as one commentator highlighted, when money is wasted by the system it is irkful at the very least.

We need tougher enforcement on those elements of our Society who 'take-take-take' and cut out the wastefulness in the system. Tehreby better using taxation revenues - since it's always easier to spend other people's money than your own.

L:ets strike I say :O)
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Truckersunite
But you are not only paying via the tax on fuel, All your day to day goods increase in price due to high fuel tax. The fuel cost is the largest cost in running a truck and as a result those costs are passed onto the consumer - you and me.

I am fully behind a protest and I have heard talk of people wanting a week long protest to show the government just how strong the feeling is. The government know that by keeping fuel tax high the price of goods go up and they get extra vat from those goods, so they can't fail to win but most people do not realise about the vat on the goods aspect.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - David Horn
The thing is, with this you can cause a problem without even blockading the tankers.

Suppose your fuel-strike group "announces" a strike will take place three days from now. Everyone (and I mean everyone) will take their cars, containers, kettles, etc to the petrol stations and bleed them dry.

Net result: no fuel, stations closed and the odd one open selling at £2/litre.
Someone has been paying attention.

This morning a group of farmers and small haulage contractors have set off on a go-slow from Fawley refinery, up to Cadnam and then on along the A31 to Ringwood and back. This is by way of a protest at the price of fuel.

This follows on from yesterday's action outside a refinery in Cheshire.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Snakey
I don't think anyone would mind the price of fuel as much if we actually got some spending back from that 80% (plus road tax and countless hidden motoring taxes).

But what do we actually get? Terrible public transport and no development of our crumbling road system. The amount of revenue raised by motorists should result in the best public transport system in Europe, with roads being the alternative option.

In 20 years time (or so!) we'll all be driving non-petrol cars, so the revenue will probably come from road tolls instead, but I bet the situation doesn't change, all governments realise motorists are a giant piggy bank who will pay through the nose for their 'freedom'!
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - frostbite
Given the low fuel prices paid by farmers, I can't quite fathom their high profile in this???
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - andyconda
>>small cars. Why?
>>efficient cars. Why?
>>people think about making a journey. Why should they?
>>industrial R and D is focused on efficiency. Not required.
>>the drive for efficiency never falls away. Not required.
>>pollution is reduced So you leave the city!
>>public transport comes under middle class pressure - What a laugh! I'd never be seen dead on public transport.

Meditek, please tell me you were just playing devil's advocate by posting these comments!

Surely you must appreciate that oil is not a finite resource, and therefore smaller and more efficient cars ARE necessary! If the whole world followed the "large cars/cheap fuel/drive everywhere" model like the US, we'd be in a whole lot of climate change trouble before very long.

If fuel taxes have to be used as a means of adjustting attitudes to the world's natural resources, then so be it.

Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - MichaelR
People always seem to miss the obvious when wondering how to get people out of their cars.

If there was a free bus right outside my house I'd probably still use my car. Why?

I've paid to buy it, I've paid to tax it, I've paid to MOT it, I've paid a four figure sum to insure it, and I enjoy driving it.

So why would I want to leave it in the garage all the time?
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - CM
I don't think anyone would mind the price of fuel as
much if we actually got some spending back from that 80%
(plus road tax and countless hidden motoring taxes).
But what do we actually get? Terrible public transport and no
development of our crumbling road system. The amount of revenue raised
by motorists should result in the best public transport system in
Europe, with roads being the alternative option.

It comes down to what you want taxed. If you didn't have high fuel tax then income tax would go up or VAT or something else. you say that you don't see the money coming back, and to a certain degree i accept this, but what do you think pays for the NHS, war in Iraq, education, social security payments etc etc etc.

A lot of people think that while the tax is high it is quite fair in the respect that the more you drive the more you pay in tax (although it is a regressive taxation).

I am afraid that we cannot have it both ways and in order to run the country tax has to be raised - I think last year it was a total of £426 billion (hmmmm, just think of all those banks and oil companies that make billions in profit....).
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - The Lawman
Yes but..

The tax take goes up year after year after year. It does not go up in line with inflation/earnings, it goes up much higher than that. As a percentage of GDP the Government is taking an ever bigger share of everybody's money. We weem to accept this as inevitable, and as soon as anyone complains, the old "schools n hospitals" line is thrown back at us.

Many argue that if tax is lowered on fuel, it will have to go up on something else. This is only true is we are prepared to accept the government spending has to stay as high as it is now.

I am in favour of any tax protest, whether it be fuel, income tax, stamp duty or whatever. If any of the main 3 parties were giving us any real option to vote for smaller, less intrusive, and less expensive government it would be different, but they are not.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - andyconda
I agree with many of the comments made regarding the overall tax burden in this country, but I do think the concern over fuel duty is exaggerated.

10k miles a year costs roughly £1000 a year(assuming 39mpg and 86p/litre). So if fuel costs go up by 5%, the additional cost to you is £50.

Servicing, MOT, depreciation (the biggest cost), insurance and road tax are likely to come to at least £3000 a year on anything remotely new for a young-ish driver such as myself.

The point I'm trying to make is that (for an average mileage driver) fuel costs are a relatively small proportion of total running costs, and perhaps we shouldn't get so wound up about them...

10k miles a year costs roughly £1000 a year(assuming 39mpg and
86p/litre). So if fuel costs go up by 5%, the additional
cost to you is £50.

Now lets turn that on its head and say that 10,000 miles costs you £200 and a further £800 to the tax man. So why the heck does he want another £50? Hasn't he enough already?
Now lets turn that on its head and say that 10,000
miles costs you £200 and a further £800 to the tax
man. So why the heck does he want another £50?
Hasn't he enough already?

No, he hasn't.

After decades of underinvestment, most of the infrastructure of this country is in very bad shape. Rebuilding it costs money, big money.

The bonanza of North-Sea Oil revenue was wasted on the huge bills arising from the forced de-industrialisation policies of the early 1980s and the early-90s hnagove from the late 80s-bubble economy ... and now corporation tax has been cut back massively. So the only place for the funds to come from is from individuals.

The overall real cost of motoring has remained static, or fallen, over the last 15 years, while the cost of public transport has spiralled since privatisation of services. Remember how, for example, the 10% purchase tax on new cars was abolished in the early 90s?

That extra few quid on your fuel bill still leaves you with a much cushier deal than the bus or train user. So count yourself lucky :)
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - mjm
The government must have spending plans. They need to finance those plans. They therefore set taxation levels.
When the cost of fuel goes up, or haulage as a result, extra tax is collected automatically. IF the taxation level has been set correctly then the government is now automatically collecting tax over and above what it needs. Why?
Most of us accept that taxation is needed for schools/police/hospitals etc, but I for one object to the way this government wastes it with useless quangoes, "initiatives", "targets" etc.

I buy cars under 5k.
I usually keep them for 6/8 years.
I usually sell for about £500.
Depreciation is therefore about £600/year.
Insurance £300
tax/mot/servicing etc £300

total £1200

Fuel 9000 miles at 30/gall about £1100.

To me it is not insignificant.

I will choose what I drive.

Public transport? round here? More chance of harnessing a runaway horse!
IF the taxation level has been set correctly then the government is
now automatically collecting tax over and above what it needs. Why?

Predicting tax rates is not an exact science: there are a lot of variables involved. In any given year, the take on some taxes may exceed estimates, but take on others will be lower than foreseen.

In any case, while increased fuel prices will lead to some increase in the tax take per litre, but increased prices also lead to some degree of reduced consumption. So if the tax take per lite remained constant as prices rose at the pumps, the total tax take would fall.

Doing the sums (see below), I suspect that the treasury doesn't actually see much gain from rising prices.

The duty on petrol is set per litre; only the VAT at 17.5% is price-related. So if pump prices rise by 10p, the tax take incresaes by only 1.175p. That's a 12% rise in overall price, causing a rise of just over 2% in the total tax take.

So all that's needed for any treasury gain per litre to be wiped out by falling consumption is for that 12% rise in pump prices to cause a 2% drop in consumption -- and I suspect that's quite likely. It's the equivalent of a 10,000 mile-per-year driver doing 200 miles less.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Sofa Spud
People who drive cars that do 25 mpg can always swap them for ones that do 50! I went from using a 19mpg to a 53mpg car for my commute to work, so I speak from experience! I must have saved about £3000 in fuel over the last few years, more than the current car cost me. Fuel costs are not high for private motorists with sensible cars. It's a different matter for hauliers, they are the ones who feel the pinch.

However farmers seem to be the driving force behind fuel protests and they use cheap, untaxed red diesel in their agricutural vehicles. Surely the weekly trip to market in a Defender towing an overloaded livestock trailer with duff indicators isn't affected much by a few pence on fuel tax!

Cheers, SS
No, he hasn't.

Yes he has. Quite enough.

And it's about time it reduced. Long overdue, in fact.

And you will not (NOT) persuade me to think differently on this point, because as a self-employed person I see the tax system in its full, glorious, mean, intrusive, suspicious inglory.
as a self-employed person I see the tax
system in its full, glorious, mean, intrusive, suspicious inglory.

To put that differently, I didn't automatically hate and mistrust them, until it became blindingly obvious that they hated and mistrusted me.
>>And you will not (NOT) persuade me to think differently on this point, because as a self-employed person I see the tax system in its full, glorious, mean, intrusive, suspicious inglory.

I am self-employed too. The worst thing about personal taxation is that it's too complicated. Class 4 National Insurance contribs. have skyrocketed for us self-employed over the last few years, a hidden tax increase that the PAYE majority don't know about. Income tax and NI contribs should be merged into one system.

Nobody likes coughing up to pay tax, but I don't mind paying it. I'm self-employed but my child goes to a state school and my wife earns a good salary working in the public sector. Swings and roundabouts!

I see motoring taxes and how they're spent as a separate issue.

Cheers, SS
Nobody likes coughing up to pay tax, but I don't mind paying
it.

Within limits, yes of course. Taxation is necessary, since some level of government activity is necessary. But not to this extent.

What upsets me is that the complexity is there "to close loopholes" - i.e. because they don't trust us. We are dealt with as if we are all fraudsters until proven otherwise beyond reasonable doubt. And then they wonder why they are resented by the honest...
I'm self-employed but my child goes to a state school and my
wife earns a good salary working in the public sector.
Swings and roundabouts!

I'm very pleased for you. The same could not be said for us.
>>I'm very pleased for you. The same could not be said for us.

I feel guilty now! Don't feel too pleased for me as my workload, hence income, has fallen off sharply of late. It's dependent on (but directly involved in) the property industry, which is on a downturn. I didn't intend to imply my wife earns a huge income although we could survive on that alone if neccessary.

cheers, SS
I feel guilty now!

No worries, SS - we made our choices. We still think they're right, even if HMG decides to penalise us for them.
my workload, hence income, has fallen off sharply of late.
It's dependent on (but directly involved in) the property industry, which
is on a downturn.

Best wishes for an upturn. In property, at least you can have some confidence that there will be one...?
What upsets me is that the complexity is there "to close
loopholes" - i.e. because they don't trust us.

I don't like the way that tax people can be appallingly heavy-handed, but given that there are armies of accoiuntants making a fine living out of exploiting any loopholes, the system has two choices: get tough about closing them, or allow a system to develop whereby self-employed folks who are doing well enough to employ fancy accountants can end up paying a lot less tax than equally hard-working and simlarly-remunerated folks who are in the PAYE system.

(I'm not suggesting that you are a tax-avoidance addict, rather that self-employed folk like you and me are the victims of a situation created by some self-employed folk).

But the question of how heavy-handed tax collectors can be is a separate one to tax levels. I can't see that tax-collectors aiming for 35% of GDP would need a different modus operandi to those currently seeking a 40% take.
get tough about closing them, or allow a system to develop
whereby self-employed folks who are doing well enough to
employ fancy accountants can end up paying a lot less tax
than equally hard-working and simlarly-remunerated folks who
are in the PAYE system.

That's as maybe, but it is still insulting.

But ... why do we have a tax avoidance industry? When did it come into being with a vengeance? Hmmm.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - PoloGirl
Someone has been paying attention.
This morning a group of farmers and small haulage contractors have
set off on a go-slow from Fawley refinery, up to Cadnam
and then on along the A31 to Ringwood and back.
This is by way of a protest at the price of
fuel.

And it was a bit pointless really. They managed to gather less than a dozen vehicles, and caused barely any disruption to traffic. The hauliers were filmed talking to a representative from Fawley. They said: "Please reduce prices or join with us in our protest" and the bloke from Fawley said: "No, sorry, can't do that".

So they gave up and went home.

Ok they managed to get their little protest onto the local news but even the tone of that was slightly mocking because they hadn't managed to achieve anything.

Btw, the farmers are involved because, apparently, the price of their cheap diesel has gone up too.

Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - bugged {P}
Its not the fuel prices im bothered about its the fact we've paid over £14,000 in the last 3 years in stamp duty!! I don't even see what its for, at least you can put fuel tax down to the fact it has to travel a long way to get here and one day it will run out. The country should all stop buying houses and moving for a few years, that will hit barmy blair harder than a small bunch of farmers driving slowly!!

And while im at it, what about council tax? There are two of us in my house, we pay the same as the guy living next door but there are 5 people in his house, 2 of which are still at school and one is at uni, they create a ton more rubbish than us and use the countrys resources more than we do, but still we pay the same!

The lieing lib dem mp that came and knocked the other day told me council tax will be reduced, yeah maybe if i age by 50 years or give up my job, join the dole queue and have at least 5 kids.

Basically we can moan all we like, (and i sure can moan) but nothing will change, someway or another we will be taxed whether we like it or not. Each time I listen to the news lately I hear another CRAZY tax or benefit some political party wants to bring in. It would be nice to live in a world where you didn't have to pay to use a car on the road or pay to buy a new house or pay to get your rubbish collected but it wouldnt be the real world, we should learn to deal with it.

Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - bhoy wonder
I have just been working with a guy who comes from america. He states that if fuel prices start to go up to steeply then drivers start to boycot fuel stations. Why do not do somthing like this over here. For example the big three Esso, BP and Jet.
We want price at 65 pence a litre. Then if we boycot Esso and BP until there prices come down to 65 pence a litre and only use Jet, this gives the control back to the driver and will have the big 3 running to the goverment to sort out the tax on the fuel and takes the problem away from us.

Is the workable?
Is the workable?

No.
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - bhoy wonder
why?
Isn't it about time for a fuel strike? - Ex-Moderator
This one is an old one and appears about every 6 months. If you search on "esso" and "boycott" you'll find all the other references.

why?

Why would ESSO etc want to sell their fuel in the UK at a much lower price than they could get elsewhere in the world?
NoWheels - am I much mistaken, or are you beginning to pick up the basics of a market economy?

;-)
NoWheels - am I much mistaken, or are you beginning to
pick up the basics of a market economy?

know thine enemy, tovarisch ;-)