306 noise when cornering - duggie
my lad has just bought his first car a pug 1.4 306, the car runs well enough but we have some problems to solve, first one is when the car is cornering a knocking noise can be heard from the front of the car, lve checked the wheel bearings - no play and the wheels spin freely enough with no apparent noise, l then jacked the front of the car up and turned the steering from side to side there is a knocking/grinding noise coming from the top of the suspension mounts one side louder than the other, could this be the noise when driving the car? any help and advice appreciated.
Duggie
306 noise when cornering - solara
I believe the 306 suspension struts have bearings sandwiched between the strut and the chassis/body. This should be seen to, but probably not the cause of the cornering knocking. That is probably worn driveshafts.
306 noise when cornering - sierraman
I would tend to disagree,all Macpherson struts have a small ballbearing race at the top to allow the strut to swivel.If these are worn the strut will move up and down,only by a small amount,but enough to make a knock.Very slight wear may only show up when cornering as the load is thrown to one side of the car.Worn wheel bearings generally make a rumble and worn CVJs,the ones on the hub end of the driveshaft,click when you turn into it,i.e.worn on left clicks when you turn left.
Try jacking up a front wheel,make sure the car is well supported,and get a long bar in such a way so that you can lever the strut upwards.You may be able to feel play in the top bearing,or see it if it is excessive.
306 noise when cornering - mph_turbo
Yes, I think its the bearing at the top of the strut. I had a 306 with this problem. Additionally, the defective bearing in my car would make a noise as the steering was rotated from side to side.