Zafira oil change nightmare - Dunkyboy
My local garage changed the oil and filter on my 1.6 Zafira for £32.Having read somewhere that the oil level on Zafira's is quite tricky to get right, i then checked the oil level the next morning, after the car had stood alnight, and the level was nearly 1/2 inch over the top of the high mark.
I took the car back, and they said they would check it out, which they did.They managed to break the filler cap in the meantime, but out driving today, smoke started pouring out of the bonnet and the smell was one of burning.It seems oil has been leaking out of the filler cap, running down the heat shield and onto the exhaust manifold, hence the smoke and smell.The AA patrol man who checked the car for me said that there had been to much oil in the engine, and there was a possibility of damage to the catalytic converter. How can i check for damage, and how should i complain, any advice please. (I feel like getting rid of the car now),i'm really pink fluffy diced off.
Zafira oil change nightmare - elekie&a/c doctor
I doubt whether any damage has occured other than the mess from the spill from the filler cap.Clean off any spilt oil from engine & recheck oil level on dipstick with engine cold on level ground.It is not difficult to break the oil filler cap on these,the top yellow part is only clipped to the lower plastic section,just push the 2 parts back together.
Zafira oil change nightmare - Altea Ego
you take the car back and you insist and tell them to clean up the ALL the oil spill, replace the defective oil cap wih a new genuine vauxhall part, and get the oil level right.

Its unlikely any other damage is done to the car, so dont despair!
Zafira oil change nightmare - Sprice
Again though, another tale of a garage bodging a routine job, how did they manage to break a oil filler cap, perhaps they threw it against the wall in despair at having to put right their oil overfill? Yeah, insist they clean the engine bay and replace cap!
Zafira oil change nightmare - MW
Is it a main dealer? When my VW was overfilled I asked for a cat gas test and I wanted to see the print out, which they did. It was OK. You could ask for a free MOT test wihich will do one anyway. I doubt if there is a problem, but given the hassle a full refund or 50% discount would not be out of order. Next time if it is just an oil change, go where you can wait and watch it being done.
Zafira oil change nightmare - Dunkyboy
They have ordered a new filler cap, god knows how they broke it.
The car has stopped 'smoking', but the smell is not nice, the oil level is still right on the top level. I think i will ask for a emission test, thanks for that suggestion, but i now have no confidence in this garage, just how difficult is it to do a oil and filter change, next time i'll do it myself and save some cash but more importantly the job will be done right.Why oh Why is this industry so utterly undependable.
Zafira oil change nightmare - MW
The industry can at times 'be difficult'. Think in terms of damange limitation. If you can do an oil change, probably for £20 including a filter you are in control. You can use the best oil and filter and know it is done right. Same for air filter, plugs, gearbox oil etc. Use a garage, probably a good independant, when you have to.