Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - Leon on Derv
Help!

I have bought a pre-enjoyed Impreza. Sept 2001 (last of the old shape) turbo 2000.

There are a couple of things which are "wrong" with the car which I need to rectify. For info she is a UK car there are 37,000 on her and she has had three previous male owners who had her as a second car.

Either owner one or two have had the exhaust system replaced entirely with a one piece 3" stainless steel system. Unfortunately they did not have the foresight to keep the cats maybe they traded them in - I have no idea. My question is, can anyone give me a source where I can buy replacement cats (just to get her MOT'd) without having to pay the subaru premium. I have tried a number of breakers and motor factors. there is no problem finding parts for imported Imprezas, but no-one has been able to help so far with aftermarket parts for a UK car.

I had her on the ramps on Saturday for a good visual inspection underneath. I noticed a small trail of oil where the drive shaft comes out of the (gearbox??) housing. Is this likey to be just an oil seal replacement? Or could there be something more sinister requiring attention. Have spoken to fellow Scooby owners - none of them have had problems with oil seals?

Any comments would be welcome.

Leon

With a Scooby in the garage
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - Aprilia
Unless Timax list this then I wouldn't know where you'd get a new cat other than Subaru. I would have thought one would turn up at a breaker sooner or later.

Oil leak is probably down to a seal. Only concern might be that an output bearing is worn. Does the output flange move up and down at all?
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - trancer
Are import and Uk Impreza exhaust systems so different that an import cat would not fit?. If flanges are different I am pretty sure a muffler welding shop could sort that out easily enough.

Chances are the car would pass emissions testing even without the cat so the cat might just be needed for visual inspection and I can't imagine the MOT tester failing the car because the cat was welded in and didn't have original bolt-on flanges.
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - derek
CATS off for one of two reasons
1/ its been boy racered and its been cut out to make it a little faster

2/ its was broke someone got a price for a replacement one fell over, and thought i will cut it out it doesnt need an mot yet, and then sold it when it does need one, try suburu main dealer for maintainance print out, or try last mot garage and get them to explain how they did emissions test without a cat in

or of course find a suburu enthusiatic mot tester who will look the other way!!!!
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - derek
ps when you said second car and male owner

you dont mean track day car do you ?
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - trancer
"
or of course find a suburu enthusiatic mot tester who will look the other way!!!!"

I thought the same thing, but didn't want to mention it out of fear of a BR lashing. You are a braver man than I 8-).
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - Truckosaurus
If you want a cheap 'cat' then search out a place in the States called 'Summit Racing' they sell brand new universal cats of different sizes starting at $50. Even with import duty and VAT paid on those prices, they are a bargain.
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - teabelly
The scoobynet forums might have someone that knows. I did find some company that did performance cats & exhausts but I am having trouble finding them again. Have you tried carparts direct?
teabelly
Impreza - Repairs / de-mods - Aprilia
UK and import cats are different fittings.

You can, of course, buy 'universal' cats of various sizes and 'make them fit' with a bit of welding - but its not ideal. Somewhere that does SS exhausts (like Powerflow) might do the best job on this.