Mondeo diesel, cambelt changing - Vinnie
Can anyone please tell me if there are any pitfalls with changing the cambelt & diesel pump belts. Haynes don't do a book on the 1998 diesels.
I have changed them on several other cars but do not know if I need any special tools or pins. Is the tensioner an eccentric? If so how do you relax it & retension it? Is there alignment holes in the pump gear to stop it turning?
Any help you can give would be most welcome.
Thank you, Vinnie
Mondeo diesel, cambelt changing - Aprilia
I assume we are talking the 1.8D engine here?

I have never done one of these, but I know they are not straightforward. There are two tensioners on the cambelt and one on the pump belt. It is quite lengthy to do them. Really, I would look on Ebay and see if you can buy one of those Ford workshop manuals on a disc - it will be worth it for this job. Special tools and locking pins are required.
Mondeo diesel, cambelt changing - Vinnie
Dear Aprilia, thank you for your reply re belt changing.
I have just searched e-bay and can only find the earlier diesel.
I checked today with my local garage who said it needs a 10" long pin through the block to lock the crank. Can never be 100% certain in what they say as they could be trying to put me off and so get the job !! I appreciate your advice more than theirs. Thank you again, best wishes, Vinnie.
Mondeo diesel, cambelt changing - Aprilia
You need a locking pin for the crank, but its not 10", more like 3-4" (from memory). You also need a bar to lock the cam (fits in a slot at the back of the cam) and a locking pin for the injection pump.
To be honest it is not a job I would be keen on, and I've done Subarus and Alfas.....