Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks
Warning light - Leo Charlton
I have noticed a amber warning light on my Citroen Xantia 1.9D.
ITs directly above the parking light and looks like a reservoir with pipes on either side. Any ideas what it means please.

leo
Re: Warning light - David W
Leo,

Water in diesel fuel filter warning lamp. This light is prone to false indications but I would replace the filter/drain the filter bowl if you haven't done this for six months.

Not the time of year for water there.

David
Re: Warning light - Leo Charlton
please excuse my ignorance but where would I find this filter (not had the car long, bit I have been promised a haynes manual for Xmas)

leo
Leo,

You are lucky, the Xantia is one of the easiest fuel filters to locate/change.

The filter is in a round black plastic housing with four socket head bolts on top. Unscrew these hex socket bolts and lift the top. The filter is a drop in type and the rubber seal is pre fitted to the filter.

Fit the new filter and tighten the bolts evenly/sensibly to avoid stripping the threads. Prime the diesel system with the rubber bulb near the drivers side suspension strut top (pump a few times). Then start the engine and after a couple of seconds of rough running as any air bleeds through it will be fine.

David
PS.

Should have said obviously you need to drain off/suck out the dirty fuel left in the housing before you fit the new filter.

David
Re: Warning light - mike harvey
Text book answer David. Now tell Leo what to do when the air does not pump out!
Mike
Re: Warning light - Darcy Kitchin
David

No drain on the Xantia filter bowl?
Darcy,
There is a drain on the Xantia filter bowl but I was giving Leo the choice.

Mike,
Now remember Leo's not even read the Haynes yet so we don't want to stress him with a hard to bleed system. Actually I find the Xantia one excellent. Try it with my old tractor and it will use most of the battery capacity cranking over before it goes again.

David

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car