Election Will Increase Car Sales - 007
Does that mean that Mr.Prescott will be getting a third Jag?
Election Will Increase Car Sales - Bromptonaut
Cause or effect?

Nah, wily politicos' call the election when the public are feeling good/flush and therefore buying cars, tellies, kitchens etc.

Feb 74 Heath had to call an election on "who runs the country" (govt or unions). 66 and Oct 74 were to remedy minority governments, largesse with the taxpayers money subbing for feel good factor.

And in 92 Major had to go 'cos his five yrs were up.
Election Will Increase Car Sales - Altea Ego
Yup they all try and call an election during "feel good" times.

(or actually while its "feel good" and just before "ouch that hurts feel bad" times.)
Election Will Increase Car Sales - Buster Cambelt
Is there any "feel good" left?

SWMBO and I have really cut back on discretionary expenditure lately. No confidence that there won't be more bandit raids on the salary so trying to build a buffer zone (and clear the mortgage) for when the inevitable happens.

If we are typical then the Treasury are in trouble. The UK's economy is strongly consumer-led and any real slowdown in high street spending is going to create big holes in the Exchequer.

And no, neither UK car gets replaced this year.

Not politically motivated, just reality I think.,
Election Will Increase Car Sales - Dude - {P}
I tend to agree with B.C. in that the current spending run, whereby people have been remortgaging against the increasing value of their properties, has well and truly run into the sand with personal debt standing at well over £1 trillion. We only have to see property prices falling back by 10% to see many people in negative equity, when they need a new car as much as a hole in the head.!!!!
Election Will Increase Car Sales - NowWheels
Sounds like SMMT should sponsor all the political parties, and ensure that an election is held every year. The overall cost of an election is probably under £100 million, so they'd probably need less than 10% of a boost to sales for it all to be profitable.
Election Will Increase Car Sales - oldtoffee
Assuming this happens, does anyone have an idea how and when this might affect used car values? I only ask because I'm about to go looking for a new (used) car and if there is an increase in the number of part exchanges will this depress used prices a bit as they work their way through the system? Thanks.
Election Will Increase Car Sales - Altea Ego
Wrong time of the year me old fruit, election or no, Used prices always harden in Spring / early summer.
Election Will Increase Car Sales - blue_haddock
I hope it does increase car sales cos i'm dead at the mo.
Election Will Increase Car Sales - doctorchris
Sounds logical to me, buy a new motor to get as far away from the politicians (of any persuasion) as you can at election time.
Election Will Increase Car Sales - blue_haddock
Yep it doesn't matter who you vote for - the goverment always get in!