Focus 1.8 LX Lambda sensor req'd? - Cyd
Friends 2000 1.8LX Focus had an emissions test this weekend.

At idle: HC=OK, CO=OK
BUT Lambda = 1.15

The Lambda figure stayed the same at all revs up to 4000. HC and CO still within limits at all speeds.

Car runs and drives okay.

What is the backroom opinion - new lambda sensor required maybe?
Focus 1.8 LX Lambda sensor req'd? - elekie&a/c doctor
I think I would get the exhaust system checked first for any small/pinhole leaks.A high lambda reading may not indicate a fault with the sensor.Plugging into the diag system live data will show if the sensor is working correctly.
Focus 1.8 LX Lambda sensor req'd? - Cyd
Should have added that the "check engine" light DOES NOT come on with the engine running (it does light during the bulb check whilst cranking). We assume this means that the ecu has no idea anythings wrong and so will not have any fault codes stored.

We were thus hoping to save the £50 it would cost us at a dealer to have it connected up for the two minutes it takes to find this out!!! Instead we were hoping that one of the bright sparks in the backroom would know from the symptoms what's wrong.
Focus 1.8 LX Lambda sensor req'd? - Aprilia
I would also go with the small air leak into the exhaust. However, you could check the lambda sensor yourself, either with a cheap multimeter (£5 from Maplin type) or one of those testers that ECP sell for about £16. Look for it switching at 0.5-1Hz at idle and then faster as you rev the engine to 2000rpm.