Focus C-Max: good buy? - Nickdm
I'm attracted by the low prices of the C-Max on the Ford Direct web site - under £13k for a 9-month old 2.0tdci ghia for example (nearly £19k list).

They look good cars - is there a catch, beyond the obvious depreciation that Fords/Vauxhalls always suffer?

Recent forum threads have suggested that many modern diesels are very complicated if things go wrong, so, putting aside on-going mpg claims and disppointments, is the 1.8 petrol a decent engine instead?

Any one got any experience of running one of these?

I need the space and can't stomach the idea of paying around £17k for a similar-age used Volvo V70 (my original choice).
Focus C-Max: good buy? - Stuartli
My son has an 03 Focus Zetec with the 1.8 TDCI and does a big mileage every week; no problems with the engine to date which provides remarkable performance and economy.

Re the C-Max. I've always thought it was really a (more expensive) Fiesta with a taller roofline, but I stand to be corrected.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Focus C-Max: good buy? - machika
Re the C-Max. I've always thought it was really a (more
expensive) Fiesta with a taller roofline, but I stand to be
corrected.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

>>

No, the C-Max is based in the Focus. The Fiesta derivative is the Fusion, I think.
Focus C-Max: good buy? - DavidHM
The 2.0 tdci engine in this car is the lump shared with Peugeot and is a pretty good unit, although it's too new to get a definitive answer on reliability, and there have been reports of owners getting well under 40 mpg, which means it's an expensive engine option for the economy.

It handles well, is spacious, and safe in a crash.

However, in three years' time, a four year old V70 D5 will be worth most of the £4k more, so if that's the car you'd rather have, I'd say go for the Volvo if you can afford it, as you will get the money back.

Also, although the C Max is a good car, make sure that the shape of the loadspace suits you as well as the V70's. If it doesn't, a Mondeo estate would be a better budget alternative and probably even cheaper.
Focus C-Max: good buy? - Stuartli
>>The Fiesta derivative is the Fusion, I think.>>

You're correct, of course. Got the two model names mixed up. But the same principle applies...:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Focus C-Max: good buy? - Morris Ox
The same principle doesn't apply.

The Fusion, in my book, is a thoroughly cynical Fiesta-on-stilts. Try the C-Max and you'll realise its interior configuration is different. It's also based on the new Focus platform, not the old one.

Curiously, the C-Max makes an awful lot of sense when you are oldr and your movement may be restricted. Someone I know bought one precisely for that reason: lower sills, a more upright driving position and good all round visibility have made their motoring a much more relaxing affair.
Focus C-Max: good buy? - Happy Blue!
You're right Morris,

These mini MPVs are a bit of a waste of time for people who want five seats and luggage as a small estate will be better. But for people with mobility problems then they are a major advance over standard cars.

I drive a Subaru Forester and think it sgreat. I got out of a Fiesta the other day and it was like getting out of the bath.

However, I think Nickdm should look at a Mondeo as well.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Focus C-Max: good buy? - Imagos
My only problem with C-Max is the poor quality interior plastics like most Fords these days. Hard grainy nasty cheap looking in particular the door trim.

Cost cutting too far.
Focus C-Max: good buy? - Aprilia
If you want that type of car (i.e. mini MPV) then the C-Max is as good as any IMHO. I've had them a few times in Europe as Hertz rental cars and I've liked them - quite an impressive vehicle.
.*********