Silverstone for the chop ? - Steve G
With all the recent fuss about Silverstone holding next years F1 GP ( £ 5 million bond given as guarantee that traffic problems will be reduced) it makes you wonder if Silverstone is at the top of the list for making way for the future Russian GP.
Austria was reportedly the most likely candidate for the chop but has recently been given a 5 year extension.
I know that in previous posts the general feeling is the F1 GP at Silverstone is way too expensive and not really great value for money.
But it would be a shame if its dropped.
Which track should they drop ?

Top of my list would be Magny-cours ( France).
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Brill
I'm not a great fan of the Monaco Grand Prix, the cars seem ill-suited to a road circuit, and even less likelihood of any overtaking whatsoever.
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Phil Goodacre
I'm not a great Silverstone fan, give me Donington Park anyday but it never ceases to amaze me that Silverstone is so berated by the FIA. As Steve G has said, Magny Cours is awful and the traffic is unbelievable, just as bad as Silverstone. Spa is not much better. Monaco is just a showpiece, totally unsuitable as a race track but the worst of all, and astonoshing how it continues to survive, is Interlargos. Not been to that one but every article I have read says that it is a dump. Bits of hoardings falling on cars in qualifying, muggings and garages being broken into. However, all that said, the track I would most like to see dropped is Hungary. It's just soooo booring.
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Mark (Brazil)

> but the worst of all, and
> astonoshing how it continues to survive, is Interlargos. Not
> been to that one but every article I have read says that it
> is a dump. Bits of hoardings falling on cars in qualifying,
> muggings and garages being broken into.

And IMO they were understating the issue.
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Spot on Mark. Amazing just how much Brazilian money flows into European/Global motorsport 'though, and therein probably lies the reason. How is it that such an ostensably poor nation can fund such a "rich" sport, even 'though they undeniably produce a rich seam of drin=ving talent ?

I don't really know why all the fuss about spectatro access at any circuit, as it seems quite clear that Bernie and his cronies are really only interested in the TV / broadcasting revenue - who needs fans in the stands ?

Regards, Adam
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Did I really type all those spelling errors ?! Must be the temperature over here getting to my poor old brain.

"Must pay more attention in class" !

Gerads, Adam !!
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - mike harvey
Just now, seeing any car on any track would do me!, especially after having my appetite whetted this morning with the unveiling of the Toyota on the news. (out last night)
I wasn't too impressed with USA this year, all that promise of overtaking failed to happen. Circuit now a very slow series of bends followed by a 'straight'.
Mike
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Dave
> who needs fans in the stands ?

The real fans are watching club racing & bike racing!

...oh and the real drivers are there too...
>"Did I really type all those spelling errors ?"

Don't worry, Mark (B) is hacking into MBRM's system as we 'speak', for his beloved 'edit' button. How's the firewall Martyn? ;o)
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Mark (Brazil)
I'm trying to create a new user IP address dependent variable. Essentially if your IP meets a set of criteria, then you will have both an edit and a post button.

If, on the other hand, your ip address raises any red flag, then you will have neither.

Or as LAS *will* be saying [posting] in the future when the enhancement is in place..........

" "
> " "

Most excellent!
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Tomo
Let's be cruel. Make 'em do Indy as entries in the 500!
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Honest John
Following on from Tomo, in that case switch the whole show to Rockingham which will soon even have its own railway station for spectator access from car free London. Split the Brit GP in two: 200 miles of the banked outer circuit followed by 200 miles of the twisty infield circuit. Every spectator (with binoculars) will be able to see everything.

HJ
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - Steve G
Nice idea HJ but i think the F1 boys would refuse to drive on ovals if the possibility was ever put forward ! . The Champ cars (Indycars) drivers take far greater risks ...and provide better racing with the emphasis being on entertaining the spectators (fans).
When do you see a pitlane open on race day for fans in F1 ? .... never , just for the corporate entertainment and celebrities who probably have no interest other than a financial one. At Champ car races you can meet the drivers look at the cars close up, just how it should be.
But back to Silverstone.....
Its odd how after years of traffic problems the FIA decides its such a big problem the race might be cancelled. After the debacle of the date being moved forward to April you have to question how important the British GP is to the FIA.
The decision will be made on a financial basis so any country which bans tobacco advertising is going to be near the top of the list.
Re: Silverstone for the chop ? - David Millar
Looks like Belgium could be top of the list as it proposes to ban tobacco advertising at its GP in 2003. Not much time left to see those bravest drivers flat out through Eau Rouge if that comes to pass.

David