VW Golf Mk3 Smoking Engine - blacklabel
Hi ,my 1995 VW Golf Driver 1.8 is smoking from its engine after driving it for half an hour or so. I have taken it to a VW garage ,and they couldnt find anything wrong with it ,but after driving it away,it did it again.The smoke is grey/white,and seems to be coming right from the engine itself. The temperature guage reads normal,but the coolant temp/level warning light comes on even though the coolant tank is full.I have checked for water in the oil,and it looks ok,also no mayonnaise anywhere.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ,thanks - I'm totally stuck!
VW Golf Mk3 Smoking Engine - Civic8
When you say header tank is full.Do you mean full up. Or at correct level?.If you meant full up thats what is causing it.Should be at max level indicated on tank
--
Steve
Thanks for replying steve.o - the coolant is at the correct level in the header tank.
also - it smells of burning
VW Golf Mk3 Smoking Engine - Peter D
Rocker cover gasket leak and oil is finding the exhaust or the OS drive shaft gearbox oil seal is weeping and the oil is getting on the exhaust. We need more info to help
Thanks Peter - I'm a bit stuck as to what else I can tell you,can you tell me what info would help?
Cheers!
VW Golf Mk3 Smoking Engine - Civic8
Might be easier to lift the bonnet while engine running.And check for any leaks/smoke/steam.They should all be apparent while watching.Though be carefull of any water spray if a coolant leak?.If oil it will smoke for a long period giving you time to see where the leak is..
--
Steve
Thank you all very much for your help - I have now identified the problem. A heater hose situated above the exhaust manifold was spraying coolant downwards onto the manifold. I chopped the end off with the split in ,and re-attached it further up,and it's ok now. Cheers!
VW Golf Mk3 Smoking Engine - Peter D
We assumed you knew the difference between smoke and steam and the small of anifreeze, so much for smoke then.
VW Golf Mk3 Smoking Engine - Sprice
Be careful cutting the split part of the hose off and attaching it further up! This doesn't always work, it might be a good idea to get another hose from a breakers, or a universal hose from Halfords, and keep it handy as a spare incase the original lets go again!
Hi Peter - just to clarify the reason for that - due to a head injury a year and a half ago I have absoloutly no sense of smell or taste whatsoever.Not that I'd have been drinking the antifreeze mind! Thanks anyway!