Ford Focus C-Max 2.0tdci zetec - Bushell
Hi

I have a problem with the above named car. The engine runs but only at tickover.

The car has only done 11500 miles. I diagnosed an ECU failure, the man who came to collect the car to take to the garage stated "its computers gone, its not going anywhere". I have had a similar fault on a high milage Merc Sprinter van (312000 miles). The local Ford agents have said that the EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve) is at fault. When I took the van to the Merc dealer they said that the EGR valve had gone, they changed it and it made no difference, they then changed the injector pump, it made no difference, they then changed the ECU, success but only with bills for £3261.00 Happily Merc paid for a goodly whack of this.

My question is, would an engine run if the EGR valve was stuffed? Is this a common way of trying to fix faults by changing the cheapest components first and hoping that fixes the fault?

Cheers

Gordon
Ford Focus C-Max 2.0tdci zetec - dieselnut
EGR valves seem to have a habit of sticking partially open causing various symptoms depending on the engine.
I guess that because they are re-circulating exhaust gas together with all the carbon particulates it contains, the valve & inlet manifold get clogged with the carbon.
The first thing I do with any diesel car I get is to disconnect the EGR valves actuating mechanism, either electrical or vacuum conection to avoid the problems. A bit more NOX fumes from my car i'm afraid.
Ford Focus C-Max 2.0tdci zetec - CG
The EGR valve failed on my low-mileage Mondeo TDCi, but the car still ran reasonably well. The symptom in my case was a lot of smoke, and some hesitancy, when pulling away at low revs, but it never got stuck on just idling speed.
Ford Focus C-Max 2.0tdci zetec - Bushell
Thanks for the replies. Having read what you have written I think I will stick with my original diagnosis. Ford have been in contact today, they said that the car might be ready on saturday, if that is the case, it has only taken three weeks to fix it!! It's a good job it is nothing complicated. So much for customer service. I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Gordon.