Mondeos at Auction - kippax1966
I've been looking for ages for a Mondeo at Blackbushe auctions, and have noticed Mondeos seem to be very cheap at the moment. For example, today a 2.0 Ghia 02 reg with 110k miles went for £3375, and last week an 02 1.8 LX with 50k went for £3800, and a 53 reg 1.8 lx (I think), with about 53k went for £5400. They all had reasonable service history, are all decent colours, the first two silver, the 3rd a sort of 'champagne' colour, and all seemingly in decent condition, with only the expected stone chips and car-park dings.

Any opinions as to why Mondeos are so cheap, for what is a very decent car - is it just over supply, or is there some 'trade' reason?

Mondeos at Auction - Paul Robinson
You are right, a Mondeo is a very decent car, I was very impressed with the one we had for a while. The low prices are in my opinion a 'fashion' thing - too many people think a secondhand Mondeo hasn't got the right image.
Mondeos at Auction - cheddar
I have an 02 Ghia X TDCi, looked on Auto Trader the other day to gauge "street" prices and they were quite healthy, while the auction prices are low reckon the cars you mention would be approx as follows on Autotrader from an independant trader:

2.0 Ghia 02 reg with 110k £5700
02 1.8 LX with 50k £6500
53 1.8 LX with 53k £7700

Mondeos at Auction - Thommo
I was there today also checking out the Mondeos for the much anticipated Thommo back in funds scenario.

Assuming this is the type of car you want then the Mondeo is simply the best second hand buy there is at the moment. 1.6 Archers will get you a Ghia or Ghia X (rarer) 3 years old just off contract with circa 70,000 on the clock and good for another 70,000.

Could you ask for better value without stealing?
Hi Thommo, So how much are the 3 year old/70k Ghia and Ghia X's, petrol and diesel, going for?
Mondeos at Auction - spikeyhead {p}
1 Archer = £2,000

so 1.6 Archers is £3,200
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Mondeos at Auction - Adam {P}
>>1 Archer = £2,000<<

Really? I've never heard of that. I've heard of pony, monkey, ton and grand but nrvrt archer.

You learn something new every day.
--
Adam
Mondeos at Auction - Onetap
>>1 Archer = £2,000<<

Why?

Geoffrey?
£2000 = money given by Jeffrey Archer to pay off Monica (McCocklan?) = perjury.
1 Archer = £2,000
so 1.6 Archers is £3,200
--
I read often, only post occasionally

Yes I know! I was hoping Thommo could be more specific re month / year / model / mileage / diesel or petrol / price?
Mondeos at Auction - Thommo
Sorry didn't take notes as the Thommo in funds situation hasn't actually arrived yet so just the observation that this is the value car at the moment.

Will take detailed notes next time promise.

As said Archer is £2,000 being the amount paid to Monica Coghlan who tragically died in a car accident in 2001.
Mondeos at Auction - chronyx
It's a shame there's none about like my Fiesta, just been pootled about, not really many miles, one owner. I guess it's not that kind of car. At least that way if it's been family owned it's a reasonable indication it hasn't been mistreated too badly (Hopefully!)
Mondeos at Auction - DavidHM
Sometimes that's true, but a 2 or 3 year old Mondeo with 70k miles up will have done most of those on the motorway. Short journeys are bad for the car because the engine never warms up, while stop start pootling puts more wear per mile on brakes, suspension and exhausts.

Family budgets are the ones which have to choose between servicing the car and feeding the baby - company budgets will swallow up maintenance, too.

Anyway, if a car is family owned, how do you know if the 45 year old mother or the 18 year old son has been the main driver - if the car's in the mother's name, the son will be kept out of view when you test drive it!

All I'm saying is that low miles and short journeys may mean a car that's cosmetically very good, but the kind of wear that a car like that will get will be very different and not necessarily any less harmful, so don't think that you have to get a used small car because bigger, company cars must have been abused.
True, good point.

But seeing the way most comapny cars get treated has left it's impression on me! I'm terrified of being an ex-courtesy car too!! :o)
Mondeos at Auction - DavidHM
With regard to ex-courtesy cars, you may have a point - seldom if ever serviced, driven hard by people who (unlike regular rental customers) aren't paying and probably won't be if they break it either.

But of course they tend to be Fiestas, Corsas, Micras...
Mondeos at Auction - SlightlyFatRep
If an 02 Ghia went at Auction for £3375 what does that make my 99 Mondeo Ghia X Estate 2.0 16v ? It has 118,000 on the clock, full service history and I have had it as my company car since 10,000 miles / 1 year from the day it left the factory.

I suspect very little despite the fact it has been maintained regardles of cost (ah, the joys of a company credit card!).

I have tio bis it a sad farewell in 2/3 weeks time to make way for my new Volvo but, in all seriousness, I will be selling it privately on behalf of the company and would be interested to know what I can realistically expect to get to help off-set the new car.

We didn't trade-in as we got a blinding deal on the new car for cash.

Comments appreciated!

Cheers!

Gavin

Sadl
With regard to ex-courtesy cars, you may have a point

I try :-D

Anyone know if it's possible to get a full list of all owners a car has had?

The info must be sat on a server room at DVLA HQ, somewhere.
Mondeos at Auction - blue_haddock
The problem you will find is that the car will be registered to a dealership and you have no idea of what it's function has been - could be a courtesy car, could be an ex-demo, could have just been a pre-reg or even shock horror an rental car.
Good point. I suppose it's always a gamble, buying a car.

Mondeos at Auction - Retro
I read a few years ago, that posh hire car firms registered their cars in the names of people with double barrelled names, Lord, Lady etc.

Probably could not get away with that now, but it still makes me chuckle when you see a Roller being sold as having a titled owner.