saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - VTiredeyes
which one would you choose?
and why?
around the £14K bracket, and as new as possible?
or maybe not new, and save some cash to spend on a better holiday this year, or (if im lucky!) 2!
but one that isnt going to have problems with gearbox, water pumps, power steering, blah-de-blah-etc-etc.
which is the smoothest to cruise on motorway?
best mpg.
which would you have an auto in and which not? (would like auto, lazy mans car!)
only got to last a year. then got to sell privately, as having a company car. ;-(

answers on a post card please (not really, you can post them here ;-))
ta.
saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - Happy Blue!
If its for a year, then..

1. why buy any of these, buy a Mondeo Ghia X cheap with all the toys on.

2. Get the BMW - far better depreciation than the Volvo or Saab and as long as it does not have the Sport suspension will be a far better ride and cruising.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - MichaelR
I would buy the BMW. Why? It's a truely sensational car. My parents have just bought a 530d SE and I think it's absolutely brilliant - I want to own one next. The interior is rock solid and asthetically pleasing, full of quality materials. Everything just feels right. Performance is outstanding, handling and ride are just perfect. It's just an all round brilliant car.

Espada, I would have agreed with you once. I have a Mondeo Ghia X which I really like - every time I drive it I am thinking 'Yes, I like my car'.

Would I choose one over a 5 Series if I had the means to buy a 2002ish 5? Not a chance. It's a brilliant car, definately the best in its class, but it's just not a 5 Series :)

Obviously my car was some £13,000 cheaper despite being effectivly just 2 years older, but even so..
saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - tack
The only thing which spoiled my ownership of a BMW was the attitude of non BMW drivers. They all assumed I was an aggressive and selfish driver because I was in a BMW. I knew exactly where the indicator stalk was and used it with gay abandon. I let people out at junctions, I slowed down for old ladies crossing the road, I never jumped lights, but.....never a truer quote than "I'll get my reward in heaven"

The 5 series is, quite simply, a superb car. It is the only car I have enjoyed driving. The quality of fit and finish is the best that our teutonic cousins can get it. The quality of materials and workmanship is the very antithesis of French slap dash Friday car build. A car you take home the long way round, just so you can sit in it a bit longer!
saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - wantone
bmw everytime!!
now sit back and wait for the german car haters?
lol, i did love my 320d sport tourer, but would love a 530/525d saloon.

what you reckon 525d or 530d ?
manual or auto?

saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - Pugugly {P}
I would buy the Volvo over the other two any time !

Sorry meant to say biy the five.
biy?
is that a bit like diy?
or buy it yourself?
lol cheers PU
and cheers 2 all.
just need to sort my mortgage first !
then i guess its a five for a year. i do like the 3 coupe, but too small for what i need a car for. ;-(
saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - Pugugly {P}
You will never regret the five...best car I've ever driven.

Biy ! Stiku Keys !
saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - SlightlyFatRep
No, no, no, no, no!!

Volvo V70.

You want an estate, yes? The 5 is a great car of course, but will not work as a big, practical estate. Saab 95 estate is a good car but is suprisingly small as far as load carrying is concerned (far les than a Mondeo Estate for example).

The budget will only get a very high mileage and not very new Beemer, or a quite a recent Saab with the problems above (i.e no space) and the Saab will not hold value quite as well.

Both the Volvo and Saab suffer from early depreciation which levels out quite quickly and if you are only running the car for a year, and if you need space, style and grace (as well as minimising losses to virtually zero after a year) the Volvo is your car. Plenty of space, amazingly comfortable seats, well specced (even in base 'S' trim), loads of carryig capacity and ozzing Swedish style, it has to be the V70.

Go on, try it and see..........

:0)
how about a bmw 635 coupe convertible ?
large to get kids & stuff in
convertible, liked my saab93 conv
fast
comfy.

thats it im sorted, now where did i put that credit card...........................
saab9-5/bmw5/volvov70 - SlightlyFatRep
Oh dear, Poor Vtiredeyes has (sadly) lost it completely.

Too many cars and too little time.

Hello, WAKE UP!!! Black, no sugar? No, No, Come on, time to get up. Honestly, it really is that time...........

HELLO!!!

What was your budget again? Do I hear the sound of pound-notes being flushed down a toilet?

Come on, close your eyes, you are sleepy.............., call your Volvo dealer, that's it, get the Yellow Pages out, turn the pages, you are sleeeeeeeeeepy, yes, you need a test drive,,,, yes, you are feeeling happy.

'That will do nicely sir'

One happy salesman, one happy customer. Hurrah!

Do bear in mind this is your last chance before 'Signum-Doom' ( a common, if not treatable, syndrome related to poorly advised fleet managers....)

Have fun whatever (and I really would not be suprised if it turns out to be a VX220.........) you choose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:0)

Gavin