Rover 400, appetite for light bulbs - Philip Irving
I have changed many, many bulbs front and rear during the 1 year of ownership of my P Reg Rover 400. A colleague with the same model (S Reg) has changed bulbs about 6 times.

I see these cars running around in twilight with very often, one of the brake lights or side lights not working.

Is this typical of this car or am I becoming paranoid ?
Re: Rover 400, appetite for light bulbs - Andy
It's difficult to imagine what could cause this, especially as I'm no expert. One thought springs to mind, though - have you checked the battery voltage? Could your car be overvolting the battery? Can modern cars do this? It's the only thing I can imagine may be happening.
Re: Rover 400, appetite for light bulbs - richard turpin
Happens to me on a Previa too, but onlt the rear lights. I put it down to poor suspension.
Re: Rover 400, appetite for light bulbs - john w.
The hard springing cannot help
Rover 400, appetite for light bulbs - David Lacey
See my earlier reply to the bulb blowing thread reference bulb testing @ 12v istead of 14v.
Re: Rover 400, appetite for light bulbs - John S
David L is absolutely right that bulb life is very sensitive to voltage, and I seem to recall that 10% overvoltage reduces life by 50% or similar. That said, I would have thought car bulbs were designed for 'on charge' voltage rather than a nominal 12V. However, it's likely that a Voltage Regulator which is at the top end of the tolerance could reduce bulb life. Certainly worth checking the normal running voltage when the battery is well charged and the engine has a few revs on. If it's close to or over 14V it's on the high side.

I also wonder where you are buying spare bulbs? I'm convinced there are significant quality differences. Those bought 'unbranded' from the local shop tend to look poor quality - slightly misshapen envelopes. rough looking blobs of solder on the base etc. However, makers bulbs, or those from Halfords or with known brand names often look much better quality. Now, I know appearance isn't everything, but it sure gives the appearance of more care in manufacture, so it may be worth giving some 'quality' bulbs a try if you haven't already.

regards

John
Re: Rover 400, appetite for light bulbs - Nicholas Moore
This definitely sounds wrong. I've only replaced a rear brake light in 11 years on my 1990 Rover 200, which is not all that dissimilar from your 400. Get a good Rover dealer to check it out - try Crown garage in Soham if you are near Cambridgeshire.