The Budget - cheddar
Really gets me how the Gov say that freezing fuel duty until September is costing them £235 mio or so.

No, it is NOT costing anything, the extra fuel duty is money the exchequer has never had, all they are doing is delaying the date that they will further penalise the motorist ...

... and of course trying to buy votes.
The Budget - frostbite
"... and of course trying to buy votes."

Oh come on old cheese, that's dishonest, they wouldn't do that.
The Budget - patently
He's such a nice man. He's agreed not to stiff us any more than he is currently stiffing us.

Until September, anyway. Now, is that before or after the election? Let me think...
The Budget - Xileno {P}
I thought Politics wasn't allowed...

;-)
The Budget - Ex-Moderator
No, political discussions are not allowed. As long as you want to talk about motoring matters, and that would include fuel duty and the like, then carry on.

However, start getting into discussions centred upon either party politics or elections and I will simply lock the thread.

Mark.
p.s. as a complete aside "xileno" - is that with a "ch" or a "sh" ??
The Budget - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
I thought/hoped there might have been something in Gordy's ramblings about reducing tax on bio diesel. I was sadly mistaken.

p.s. It might also be a 'z' as in 'xenon'
The Budget - patently
p.s. as a complete aside "xileno" - is that with a
"ch" or a "sh" ??

As this is the web, I suspect it's with an 'x' ;-)
The Budget - Xileno {P}
"Ch"
The Budget - NowWheels
Now that the pronunciation* is established, why the name Chileno?

* the first bit, anyway. We still don't know whether it's Chill-eeno, Chill-ayno, or a Spanish-style Chileño :)
¿Chileno? ¿Es usted de Chile? Viví en Chile por algunos años y mi esposa es Chilena.
The Budget - NowWheels
Ah. So Mrs RLBS is from Xile.
Mrs RLBS is from Santiago, Chile, No 1 RLBS-ette was born in Rio de Janerio, Brasil and No 2 RLBS-ette was born two weeks ago in Oxford.

Me, I'm welsh. And yes, I will be at the game at the weekend.
The Budget - pd
I'm pretty sure I also saw in there that they have dropped the discount for Euro 4 compliant company diesel cars.

So, if you drive a Euro 4 diesel, your tax did go up in the budget.
The Budget - NowWheels
So, if you drive a Euro 4 diesel, your tax did
go up in the budget.

Not unless you buy a new one next year

From www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/AA7/7A/bud05_chapA_14...f

Company car tax - diesel supplement

A99 As announced in the 2004 Pre-Budget Report, from 6 April 2006 the waiver of the 3 per cent diesel supplement for diesel cars that meet Euro IV emissions standards will cease for cars registered on or after 1 January 2006.
The Budget - THe Growler
Well, you know what governments are like anywhere.

They get the gold mine, we get the shaft.
The Budget - Xileno {P}
"Chill-ayno"

No, I'm not from Chile. Born in Oxford, living near Bristol.