Changing the Rear Pads - Honda Accord - cdbr
I am on the cusp of changing my 145,00 mile '99 Accord 2.0l saloon. Suddenly a grinding sound has come from the rear. Checked the pads and they are to the metal, discs look ropey. Honda garage want £255 to fit new discs & pads - tempted to do it myself. Is it simple, is there a site to give guidance - am reasonably competent given a steer.
Changing the Rear Pads - Honda Accord - Pete M
If there is plenty of metal left on the discs, it may be cheaper to get the discs resurfaced. In general, there is usually a bolt to remove that will allow the caliper to pivot away from the disc. Then unbolt the caliper carrier from the hub, noting that the bolts are usually fairly tight. This should allow the disc to be removed, as it is usually a loose fit over the wheel studs. Sometimes a special tool is needed to turn and push the rear brake pistons back into the caliper, and Draper have a universal one. Watch out that the excess brake fluid doesn't cause the master cylinder to overflow. Fit the new discs after degreasing them with a brake cleaning solvent or similar. Then refit the rest in reverse order to the disassembly. A coating of copper grease on the threads of the bolts will help prevent corrosion, make it ten times easier to do the job the next time, and some on the *back* of the disc pads will help to prevent brake squeal.
Hope this helps.
Changing the Rear Pads - Honda Accord - cdbr
Thanks Pete
Changing the Rear Pads - Honda Accord - Mikey Jay
It isn't particularly simple! You may well find that the pistons are the type that have to be pushed and turned at the same time to get them to retract. You can get a special tool to do this.This makes it much easier. The problem is that everything tends to get seized up on the back so make sure that everything is cleaned and the pads don't get stuck in their guides. Make sure the sliders are clean and correctly lubricated. Also worth while to check that none of the calipers are binding on any of the wheels. If they are attend to immediately.Mike.
Changing the Rear Pads - Honda Accord - Mikey Jay
Forgot to add that on the Honda discs the minimum thickness is sometimes stamped on the disc. Lockheed supply decent brakes parts. Don't lose the small circlip that holds the brake cable on.Mike