Mondeo - Reving, smoke a new Solenoid - PatriciaX
Appreciate any help here guys ...

R Reg Mondeo - chucking out so much blue/grey smoke on standing and driving. Took it to a Ford dealer and they advised it needed a new Solenoid (?). So, I trustingly paid £220 for this, got outside to the carpark to start it up only to find so much thick black smoke coming out that it marked the carpark.

The mechanic said that this was because of the amount of carbon build up because of the faulty solenoid but this would wear itself through in about 6 turn-overs.

That was about 2 weeks ago and its still throwing too much smoke out - both on standing and driving (particuarly at high speed and accelaration).

Now I've noticed the engine revving when Im accelerating - more than "normal" and taking the meter to 4,000 revs until the speed catches up - and this happens in all gears. Also, theres sometimes a smell of diesal inside the car as Im driving and I've noticed fuel smears on the road occasionally after parking.

Ive booked it back in but they can't see it until 23rd - any tips on what to tell them - or how to stop them ripping me off?

Much appreciated
x
Sorry - forgot to say - its a R reg diesel 1.8 tdi
Mondeo - Reving, smoke a new Solenoid - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Apart ftom the obvious clutch problems, the fuel leak is serious and potentially very dangerous.Skidding risk as well as a fire risk.
Take the car back to the garage and get them to acknowledge /explain the problems. I suggest that you take a witness to the explanation.No idea what 'solanoid' could contribute to smoking though.
You have big problems and I hope they get sorted.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Mondeo - Reving, smoke a new Solenoid - GrahamF1
Which solenoid?

A solenoid is a switch that uses a low current circuit to control a high current one. Most commonly in the supply of current to the starter motor. Solenoids can be used to control other circuit in cars.

If someone just refers to 'the solenoid' without specifying what it controls, then they usually mean the starter solenoid.

Your problems with smoke, a slipping clutch and fuel leaks can't be anything to do with the starter solenoid. If the starter turns as it should when your turn the key, then the solenoid is fine.

Quick rules of thumb: black smoke means unburnt fuel, blue smoke means burning oil. From what you describe, I imagine you have leaks in various systems that are causing fluids to be present in places that they shouldn't be. And a slipping clutch.

Get a knowledgeable mechanic to make a diagnosis, and ask him to explain it fully to you. Motor mechanics isn't rocket science, and there's no reason why you shouldn't understand it if the mechanic can (though plenty of mechanics can't, they just replace parts until it works again).
Mondeo - Reving, smoke a new Solenoid - mfarrow
What's the breakdown for the £220? It sounds a bit steep for a solenoid of any description.

GrahamF1,

I think you're getting confused with relays. A solenoid is an electromagnetic device which, when current is passed through it, causes a plunger to move in and out of the solenoid's body. Consists mainly of a ferrous plunger, a coil (on the body), and a spring (to return the plunger). In the case of starter motors, the plunger is attached to the motor gear and engages the motor gear to the flywheel at startup.
Are you sure?

I know exactly how a solenoid works, and on the older cars I've had the plunger moves to complete the (high current) circuit to the starter.

Turning key completes circuit to solenoid, plunger moves completing circuit to starter. When key released the circuit to the solenoid is broken and the plunger is pushed back by the spring, breaking the circuit to starter.

Usually mounted near the battery, often a good distance from the starter.

Modern cars of course may well be different and I bow to your superior knowledge.
They explained that it was the solenoid in the fuel injection unit (???). Are you honestly saying that this should NOT have cost £220? I originally thought it was the fuel injection pumps - as the car was not ticking over properly and was juddering at low gears - but they said it was the fuel injection solenoid.

And, where did the slipping clutch come from??? Im having no probs changing gear? What have I missed?

Thanks for your replies so far
Your revs flying upwards on acceleration with the speed not following - did we read you correctly? That means a slipping clutch.
Im getting really worried that I've been or will be ripped off!

The revving only happens when Im accelerating quickly - such as when joining the motorway and wanting to speed up quickly. Is this what was meant by the slipping clutch?

I really hate car problems - they scare the hell out of me!

Sorry - but Im beginning to worry a bit more
Mondeo - Reving, smoke a new Solenoid - Civic8
>>The revving only happens when Im accelerating quickly - such as when joining the motorway and wanting to speed up quickly. Is this what was meant by the slipping clutch?

Sounds like early stages of clutch failing..Is the Diesel electronic control.As I wonder if they meant injector/s solenoids? Just a thought
--
Steve