VW 1.8t 20v - Bob H
A couple of weeks ago I noticed the coolant temperature on my Golf 1.8 GTi was not up to normal(90C) after about 15 minutes driving. I have watched it pretty closely since then and the time taken to reach normal varies greatly from 10 to 30 minutes.

I have had thermostats go on other cars and the temperature never gets up to normal; but(eventually) this one does and then stays at 90.

The car went in for a 30k service today to VW Main Agents and sure enough the diagnostic printout showed a fault on the coolant temp sensor. The garage replaced this FOC even though the car is 21 months old and a personal import with a 12 month garantee.

However driving it home the temp still didn't get up to normal after 10 miles.
(outside temp was +1C).

Any advice please on how long it should take to reach normal and what the problem might be?

Thanks

Bob H
VW 1.8t 20v - David Lacey
Bob

This engine should attain full operating temperature by about 4 miles.
I would suspect the thermostat to be at fault, but this is rare these days.

Rgds

David
Re: VW 1.8t 20v - Stu
Have the same engine in an A6. It reaches 90 degrees within 4 to 5 miles consistently. Can't help with what may be wrong other the obvious Thermo as you've deduced.
Re: VW 1.8t 20v - Honest John
The turbo should heat up the oil independently of the thermostat holding the coolant in the engine until it heats up. Maybe the temperature sender is shot.

HJ