Octavia TDI loss of power - mare
Hello again

My W reg Octavia TDI's cambelt jumped a tooth last week (broken tensioner) and refused to start.

I have now had the cambelt and tensioner changed (and got change from £200), but something isn't right. The car drives as if the turbo's not there. No go, struggles up hills, struggles up to 60mph etc etc.

I have read the lots and lots of threads on TDI loss of power, but the power loss is coincidental with the cambelt problem.

Would the car have gone into limp home mode, having sensed a problem? If so, how do i get it out of limp home? Do i need to reboot the ECU (like i would know how to do that!)?

Or is it more likely that in changing the cambelt, something has got dislodged or forgotten to be put back on?

Or is it the usual MAF sensor problem and a coincidence?

Thanks in advance
Octavia TDI loss of power - thallium81
Probably a perforated piston crown (much smoke?) or a bent valve stem = loss of compression. Jumping one tooth on a diesel would be likely to cause metal to metal contact not intended in the design.
Probably a perforated piston crown (much smoke?)

Thankfully not much smoke!

or a bent valve stem = loss of compression.

Hope it's neither of these two! The £300 Saab on the classifieds is suddenly looking viable!
Octavia TDI loss of power - gingerwizard
you need to get it checked to see if there are any fault codes stored. most garages should have a fault code reader.
Octavia TDI loss of power - mjm
The common factor seems to be the cambelt change. I wonder if the crank/cam/injection pump have been timed properly?
Octavia TDI loss of power - madf
I would doubt a one tooth jump would lead to bent valves. Maybe one: but if so you would have valves sticking and misfiring at idle. It is possible it was mistimed on replacement.
Sub £200 for parts - new tensioners and belts - seems awfully cheap iirc Audi parts for that engine alone are c£100+. Was it a proper Skoda dealer or an independent? If the latter I think you may have a shoddy job.

A proper Skoda dealer should have road tested the car. Did the garage do that? If not they are cowboys.

But if you used a cheap independent I fear you may have wasted your money..

madf

Madf

Garage was an independant. Parts were c.£75 for belt and tensioner and labour 4.3 hours at £30 per hour. No VAT.

It was a grubby oily workshop where i spoke to guys doing the job and they showed me the car in bits. I have had the car for three years and last Friday was the first time i have seen under the engine cover!

Hope it's not a shoddy job, i do know that they busted a gut to get it finished Monday, so i suspect that they screwed it back together and didn't test drive it. It'll go back today for another look.

Thanks
Octavia TDI loss of power - madf
on the basis the job was done in a hury, my best guess is:
they have mistimed either the camshaft or the fuel pump by one place - Probably the pump.

OR one of the turbo hoses has been disconnected and not reconnected: hence the power loss.(easily done: maybe not tightened up enough?)
My worst guess is you have a bent valve.

madf

Octavia TDI loss of power - trancer
I have read something about the ECU needing to be reset using VAGCOM (VW diagnostic thingy) whenever cambelts were changed. This was on a VW forum, but presume the same would apply to other VAG engined cars.

As it was a small independent shop, maybe they didn't know or didn't have access to VAGCOM
Car went in today. Half hour in the workshop, and they reconnected a hose on the turbo. Boost instantly restored!

so far so good.