1998 Peugeot 306 D Turbo Timing Belt - Blue {P}
I know I just posted a question like this about the Focus TDi, but my brother is now looking at a 1998 306 D Turbo.

Firstly, does anyone know the cambelt change interval on the D Turbo? This one has 65K miles on the clock, but have not seen the service history yet.

Secondly, the Car-By-Car says this:-

" Spate of conrod failures on 1997 -1998 R and S reg 1.9 XUTD diesels;"

Does this apply to the D Turbo? I have no idea of the XUTD is the same as the D Turbo engine!

Thanks in advance everybody, I promise to get him to buy something soon!

Blue
1998 Peugeot 306 D Turbo Timing Belt - Altea Ego
Think it is. The XUD is the 1.9 non turbo engine. (and a fine lump that was. First oil burner I ever had)
That's what I thought. :-(

In that case, is a 306 of this age and mileage likely to be a good buy (It's £2,500 and in apparently good condition) or is my brother likely to have to put a new engine in the car soon after he gets it due to con rod failure?

Blue
1998 Peugeot 306 D Turbo Timing Belt - David Horn
I have the same engine in my Xsara and the quoted intervals are 80,000 miles or 8 years. Mine is now at 74k on its original belt, with the massively expensive change due in about 6000 miles time.
1998 Peugeot 306 D Turbo Timing Belt - RichardW
Yes, the XUDT is the turbo engine fitted to the 306. The con rod failures mostly affected engines at about 30k, but there has been a recurrence now many engines are reaching 100k. Only affects engine with DHY code apparently.

The timing belt set up on these engines is very reliable, and you hardly ever hear of failure unless the change has been seriously neglected. Tensioners generally last 150k +. The change is not really expensive - budget on about £100 - £140 depending on where you are. If the £2.5k is from a dealer, then insist that the belt is changed before purchase. If it's private, then haggle the cost of the change off the price.

Of course, I'd buy a ZX - same car, different clothes, half the price....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
1998 Peugeot 306 D Turbo Timing Belt - Martin1981
The Haynes Manual for the 306 1.9 TD Engine states that timing belt change intervals are around 76k miles- but it is recommended that it is changed at around 50k intervals to be on the safe side.
I had my 1994 306TD cambelt changed last year for £140- this price is nothing compared with the cost of engine damage as a result of breakage, which can run into several hundred £££££ so be aware!

Regards
Martin
Thanks for the advice people, I think it's covered everything that I need to know.

Unfortunately there will be *very* little scope for haggling, the price is off one of the traders who deals with our garage, having checked Glass's the book price is almost exactly £2500 so I'm quite happy that it is been offered at a fair price. Having checked around some dealerships are advertising the same model car for as much as £4,000! Of course there are some similarly priced private ones around but they have much higher miles.

Blue
1998 Peugeot 306 D Turbo Timing Belt - RichardW
FOUR GRAND?????

I just paid 12 hundred quid for a 97R Xantia TD VSX (all toys)with 53k miles....

I will stick with the Citroen bodies over the underpinnings. £1500 would get a top notch ZX TD - and as far as I know these don't suffer con-rod failures.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
1998 Peugeot 306 D Turbo Timing Belt - dieselhead
Know of 3 306 R reg Dturbos run by friends and family that have done between 70 and 120k miles without engine failure so perhaps you would be extremely unlucky if your engine failed.

If its a 306 with air conditioning expect corroded air conditioner condenser and/or pipework to need replacing (very common problem on 306's and cost £2-300 to fix).