1989 Passat Central Locking - Mike B
Hello

Do any of you know how the central locking system works on these cars ? Mine has recently began to play up in a big way, My local mechanic has had both doors to bits and rebuilt both locks but we still cant get the system to work, I am having to enter the car through the passanger door now and the boot won't lock at all.

Any ideas would be extremely gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks

Mike
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - Mark (Brazil)
About a thousand different things....

What is the car ?
Does it fail to lock and unlock ?
Is it a remote button you use, or simply key in one lock which should activate the others ?
If it has an alarm, does it still enable/disable the alarm ?
Are there any noise which suggest it might be trying to work, but failing ?
Does the central locking work if you depress or pull up the lock button on the door ?

etc.

Essentially any information you can add is going to help.

M.
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - Mark (Brazil)
And disregard all questions which might have been answered if I had read the title to your note carefully.

Doh ! Martyn, edit button ?!?!?!?

But I would ask also, do all the door locks work if you lock and unlock them individually with the key.
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - Mike B
Mark
It is activated by the Key in the lock and no the buttons don't over-ride it. once the door is locked with the key it can only be unlocked with the key, a noise eminates from the boot when the key is turned - i am assuming this is some kind of pump and that the system is pneumatic.
Mike
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - El Dingo (Martin)
Mike B,

Check the electrical contacts in the drivers door unit. They are known to corrode just inside the body of the door switch unit (the unit containing the pneumatic actuator under the door plip). If they are lightly corroded, the contact is broken and the system won't work. If they are badly corroded they will be broken off and then pull/fall out easily, and this is difficult to repair. There's just a chance this might be your problem - good luck!

El Dingo.
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - Tim Allcott
You're right, Mike, it's a vacuum system. The unit is behind the trim in the left side of the boot as you open it. Expensive to replace : even breakers charge 75UKP. You might be able to persuade a breaker to let you try a substitute unit while you're in the car park to see if that sorts the problem. (it just 'plugs in' with few connections) Anyone know if any other VW's use the same unit?
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - AndyS
Don't know if this will help, but ...
I think my 97 Polo uses the same system as the Passat (judging by the noises it makes). I also remember my Dad's 1990 Passat suffering the symptoms described. The dealer replaced the drivers side door lock under warranty and that fixed it. 8 years more without problem.

Hope this helps

Andy
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - AndyS
Sprry, I meant to add that this sounds consistent with what Martin (El Dingo) says above.
Re: 1989 Passat Central Locking - Honest John
VWs of this period had a pneumatic central lockling system (our '86 does and it still works). Obviously. any airleaks and it won't work.

HJ