Skoda Octavia Ambiente - Geoff J
i am considering buying a skoda octavia ambiente hatchback and would like to hear of any problems / recalls on the vehicles in question.
would also welcome any helful advise re whether to go for 1.6 or 2.0 petrol or 1.9turbo diesel.
any information / web addresses appreciated
Skoda Octavia Ambiente - Welliesorter
The current Octavia is too new for a huge amount of information to be available. If you don't find the answer here, try www.briskoda.net .

Hope it's not considered bad manners to mention other forums.
Skoda Octavia Ambiente - storme
try this link www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

its for recalls :)
personally i reckon the skoda octavia is the most underrated car out there..i wanted a rs version but the wife didnt want the badge...:(

Skoda Octavia Ambiente - Geoff J
Thanks for the replies I have also checked insurance and the 1.9 TDI is a group cheaper than a 1.6 petrol which surprised me. I will do some further investigation.

I am badge conscience normally but I think that the specification for the £ outweighs the badge issue (I must be getting old).

Thanks again.

Skoda Octavia Ambiente - Stuartli
Skodas may have been a joke marque in the past - somewhat unfair as the Czechs have always been excellent engineers - but today's models represent some of the best buys around and the Octavia is particularly favoured by our local taxi drivers.

They love its quality, value for money and keen running costs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Skoda Octavia Ambiente - mare
I have a W reg Octavia SLX at 110,000 miles, which is now badged as the Elegance. The GLX is now the Ambiente.

If you are swayed towards the diesel, consider the Elegance and higher spec models as they are slightly more powerful (110bhp vs
90bhp). There was a PD130bhp version too. Plus you get Climate control rather than air con, alloys, CD player, leccy windows all round. I can't talk about the more recent ones, but i'm glad that i got the SLX as it is significantly better specced than the GLX.

Of course do check out the car by car breakdown.

In the last three years, i have had the following problems:

Plastic tab on top of clutch pedal break - fixed under warranty
Slight water leak on drivers door.
Fogging on damp days below 3oC. Need new pollen filter, until open the windows.
Usual TDI flatspot - apparently common on VAG TDI around the 100,000 mark, haven't cured it yet.

The good bits are:
45mpg on school/work run in stop/start traffic, 50-55mpg on a run.
HUUUUGE boot.
Galvanised body - no rust despite the scrapes and scrunched cill.

Re Badge consciousness: that's other people's problem. If they want to buy a TDI Bora or an Audi A3 for instance at a hefty premium, let them.
I have had a bit of stick from my Audi owning mates, but i'm quite happy knowing that i have more or less the same 4 wheels and a box for half the price.
They do look much better with VRS wheels though.

Skoda Octavia Ambiente - mare
In fact, re the badge - go for inverse snobbery:

"Well of course, you know its the Audi A3 / Bora / Toledo / Golf (Pick which one), but with a much bigger boot and loads cheaper"!!!!!