Bridging starter solenoid terminals - GrahamF1
Can anyone advise me on bridging the starter solenoid terminals (old Spitfire)?

I understand there will be sparks, but there's no problem so long as the bridging material doesn't touch another earth?

I propose to hold a small spanner across the contacts using a pair of pliers with rubber handles, will this be ok?
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - Hugo {P}
Graham

I've moved this to Tech Matters.

I used to do this on the old Minis when the solenoid was on its way out. I picked it up from a mechanic somewhere. I used an insulated screwdriver and it worked and 'm still here to tell you about it!

The solenoids on those cars are so cheap though, why don't you just replace it?

H
Hugo,

The solenoid works fine, it's just that I've broken the only ignition key!

Plan is to connect the positive terminal on the battery to the positive terminal of the ignition coil (bypassing the ignition switch and completing the circuit which will provide spark to the dizzy) then bridge the solenoid contacts.

Thoughts?
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - Civic8
Done it on many an old car.As said if kept away from any earth point.Should be ok..Does it not have the manual push button between the contacts..Usefull for doing tappets just press for starter to turn engine?
--
Steve
The push button is there, but feels really solid and I don't think it'll work.
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think a safer way to do this is use a short piece of wire & momentarily bridge the pos battery terminal to the small connector on the solenoid.(commonly a white wire with a red tracer)
If it has an aluminium top it wont work..It must be a rubber top..Ps wouldnt it be easier to remove the ignition switch from the barrel and use a screwdriver to start the engine ie insert blade into switch and turn. Your method seems a hard way of doing it?
--
Steve
No, it's a rubber top but doesn't work.

Anyway, I bridged them with a screwdriver and turned the engine over. Many sparks and a fair bit of smoke, though once I got a solid contact it quietened down and didn't scare me quite so much. First time I dropped the screwdriver and jumped 3 feet in the air - I'm such a girl!

Then I connected up the battery +ve terminal to the coil +ve terminal and tried to start it. No luck, as it needed some pedal action to get it going - too late and cold to get SWMBO outside. I'll get a mate over on the weekend.

Does the ignition switch come away from the barrel easily?
Forgotten the car to be honest.At least that side of it.Couple of screws should remove the ignition switch from barrel.Then gives you time to sort Barrel out..Ie take to locksmith remove key and replace..
--
Steve
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - martint123
If you can't turn the ignition on then you won't be able to start it - just turn the engine over.

Martin
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - Ex-Moderator
Definitely attack the ignition switch. From distant memory; The wires go to a multi-plug thingy which connects to the switch itself. This has a white nylon disc on the front into which a metal bar slots to turn the switch to a variety of places. It is onto that that the bit with the key fits. Wreck the lock and use a screwdriver.

With the solenoid you are only turning the engine over, you are not allowing a spark to be produced since the ignition circuit is not being switched on.
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - Dynamic Dave
you are not allowing a spark to be produced since the ignition
circuit is not being switched on.

You could just link a wire from the battery to the HT coil, but from a safety point of view, in the event of an accident turning off the engine wouldn't be easy.
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - Cliff Pope
I think Graham's already covered the ignition point in his second post.
Certainly the method works. I've used it to start an industrial excavator - that was scary!
The method appears scarier than it is because the engine bucks on its mountings as the motor turns, so your screwdriver tends to slip off the terminals.

An alternative method, if you intend using this in the longer term, would be to disconnect the live feed to the solenoid at the battery end, and swap the solenoid end onto the other terminal. Then you can just touch the cable onto the battery terminal to spin the starter.
Thanks Clive, that's correct - I've got the ignition circuit live no problem. Croc-clip wire from battery +ve terminal to coil +ve terminal, just bypasses the ignition switch.

Could rip it off if I needed to stop it I suppose, but I'm not going to be driving it anywhere - just need the engine running to tune it.

I'm sure it'll run tonight when I get 'er indoors to give it some choke and throttle. I did consider pulling the throttle linkage myself, but leaning across the block with the screwdriver and terminals arching away looked like a bad plan. Didn't think to use the choke, been so long since I've had a car with one!
Bridging starter solenoid terminals - pastyman
I used to do the same thing on a Renault Magnum artic, 2 X 140ah at 24 volts, one leather glove and a screw driver, as long as your smart with screw driver, no sparks !. new solenoid was nearly £80, soon got fed up with that lark and parted with the reddies.

Pastyman...