Ford Ka Stalling - Keith S
Hi there,

R reg Ford Ka, keeps stalling under braking - even lightly. Starts again no problem on starter motor.

Seems to idle a bit roughly as well, yet seems quite smooth when revved.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this please? My main idea is the idle speed control valve, if it has one of these?

Cheers.
Ford Ka Stalling - big davey
Hi there, yes, take off the idle valve and get some carb cleaner from discount shop and give it a good soaking until all the carbon has gone, then refit and try. Its worked on several KAs and fiestas for me.
good luck.
p.s. the valve is just on the intake at front top of engine.
Ford Ka Stalling - RichardW
Whilst it might be the idle control valve, I am concerned about the connection with braking. If it stalls only when you put your foot on the brake, not just when you lift off to overrun, or you dip the clutch and coast along for a bit, then you need to be looking at the brake servo, as I suspect a leak.

I think you should get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing ASAP as this is potentially safety related.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks for all the help. I'll check the hose to the servo and check that the servo is working properly. But given the rough idling, I'm fairly convinced about the idle valve.

I've heard on this site that cleaning them is somethimes a kill or cure event though. Wish me luck!
Ford Ka Stalling - Civic8
>>But given the rough idling....

I would agree with what Richard said.The idling problem could be related ie vacuum leak
--
Steve
Cheers.

I'll make sure I post when the fault is cured - or I've tried something.
Right,

The fault is actually not during braking but when slowing down after a high speed run.

I've done a forum search (not site search, which I did initially) and someone else had exactly the same problem. A replacement valve sorted the problem.

I cleaned the valve at the weekend. The stalling seems a little better but it is still doing it.

I'm going to try resetting the ecu and giving the valve another clean before resigning myself to either buying a new valve or putting up with the fault.

Guess a new valve will be best part of £100 :(
Just to post how this ended up......

Valve failed completely after final clean.

Bought brand new one - car is running fine now.

Thanks for everyones help.