Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Steve G
The last few years has seen several 1960's cars come back to life ...
Beetle
Mk2 Jag ( s-type)
New Mini

and there are more due out soon...

VW van
F-type (hopefully)

What else should they bring back ?

(Healey 3000 would be my choice, fabulous styling)
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - T lucas
Mkll Cortina!
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Lee H
An Allegro for the new millenium
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - ian (cape town)
my first car! 1600 and a column-shift 3 spd auto box! * great memories!*
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Julian Lindley
Steve,

I think an updated Moggie Minor would find a few friends. An SUV version of the moggie pick up might even aquire cult status.

I remember the previous CEO of BMW (I cannot spell his name, It begins with P) was an anglophile, and often waxed lyrical about restoring the marque of Riley. Now, that would be nice in 30's guise!

Regards,

Julian
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Diesel Dave
How about a Riley elf version of the new Mini ? and a Traveller version with wooden sides ?

CItroen 2cv - Watch this space - they have recently launched in France a car called C3 i think which looks like a 2cv to replace the ancient Saxo

I am personally waiting for the VW Beetle Cabriolet - surely they could sell millions of these.
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Tomo
Lagonda V-12 with LG45 style bodywork (there are one or two).
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - David Millar
Did you see the splendid Lagonda with the boat tail type body (LG45?) in Monday's Channel 4 film 'Chase a Crooked Shadow'? It was supposedly set in Spain so they had a speeded up sequence of the villain/hero swinging it around coastal mountain roads. Best bits though were the close ups of the wonderful Smiths instruments as they showed it reaching up to 80-85. They are just what I need for my old motor. The heroine/villain had a 1950s Bentley drophead. I wish I'd set the video but just caught it on a late lunch.

I agree that such a classic shape with a classic engine (Jag V12?) to match on a chassis with modern running gear would be an inspiring drive.

David
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - THe Growler
1964 1/2 Mustang V-8
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - ChrisR
They were good when they were new. But now we've moved on. Why can't our own time produce something of its own to look at? Why always hark back to a (mythical) golden age? MINI? So it's got a white roof. That don't impress me much. New Beetle? Faintly ridiculous, with boot space even more pointless than on the original. S-Type? Reggie Kray is dead. Will we be nostalgic about these reheated offerings in thirty years? I doubt it.

Chris
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Stuart B
A proper Lotus Elan and blow the Mazda MX5 into the boondocks.
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Dan J
MGB GT
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Brian
The Heinkel and Messerschmit bubble cars (with 4-stroke engines and autotransmission)
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Mike B
Brian - Have you seen the SMART car ??? I think this one has been done
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Brian
Mike B
Yes, I've seen the Smart.
Yuk !
End of conversation.
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Peter M.
Frogeye Sprite, please!
P.
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - ladas are slow
Austin A35.

Riley RME.

or the Jaguar XK150.
or maybe a smoother lada riva :-)
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Steve G
Of course the MGB has been done --
Rover MGRV8

What about a Hilman Imp ?
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Sue
Steve G wrote:

> What about a Hilman Imp ?

I think I would sooner rely on public transport than one of these!!!
agreed.
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - THe Growler
The E493A Ford Popular?

No, not really, but one has to ask why the retro-nostalgia. My amateur modest guess is older cars of the sort described in this thread were well designed, had an aura of glamour or ability to inspire affection about them, and/or features that placed them beyond mere mode of transportation in the eyes of the beholder.. Perhaps also for those to young to remember them. Hardly a startling revelation I know, but how else to explain the enthusiasm for classics?

What better than the styling and individuality of yesteryear combined with the advances in motoring technology. I mean most cars today all look so boring and so alike -- yesterday I had to get up close to one I hadn't seen before, thinking it was the new Toyota, except it was a Merc. They might be competent but that's all you can say for them, unless you can afford to go upmarket.

More power to the retro brigade (pun intended!)
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Have a word with Mr Lucas and he'll import one of those nissan Micras with the jag Mk2 Front Bodywork!
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - MPA
Got to be a Frog Eye
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Steve G
LOL

I was joking !
Re: Mini,Beetle,mk2 Jag What next ? - Sue
Steve G wrote:
>
> LOL
>
> I was joking !

I was deadly serious!!! My sister used to drive one (Hillman Imp for those catching up on this later)