Mondeo Mk3 TDDi - Monster
Have a german made TDDi (Diesel) Mondeo and it has thrice given me the Engine Warning Light. It does not blink, but after starting the engine, it will stay there when it normally should go off. It will stay for only a few days and then it will go off. I also notice more black smoke coming out (by looking at the left side mirror as exhaust pipe is on left for my Right Hand Drive mondeo). Also, the car seems less powerful and less smooth after the warning light.

I sent my car for servicing and also reported the problem with the warning light to the Ford Local Agent here and they had my Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR) cleaned and they claimed to have chip off hard black carbon deposits in the EGR. After that, I observed less smoke and the car regained its original conditions (i.e. smooth and original power).

Recently, I am seeing the warning light again. And as before, the light went off after 3 days. Is this a typical problem in yours too? Or is it a good practice/habit to have the EGR cleaned every now and then (although I don't know how!) and the car was merely telling us via the warning light whereas other diesel engines car may not?? Or could it be the local diesel fuel I get???