Light Steering on a Fiesta Query - Steveo4869
Hi all,
After replacing the track rod ends on my Fiesta XR2i CVH H reg, I have noticed that the steering is very light, which an be quite scary!, but it also seems more responsive.

I have had the tracking checked and adjusted. But my question is could it be the camber or castor setting or is this built into the suspension components and will therefore never change if not how are these adjusted? Or is the steering now normal with the new track rods because I understand MK3 fiesta's had very vague steering anyway and maybe I just didn't notice it with old track rods?
Any Thoughts. Thanks in advance
Steveo
Light Steering on a Fiesta Query - mjm
These settings are not usually adjustable in normal service. It could be that your old track rod ends were creating a lot of friction due to corrosion/wear and making the steering feel heavier than it was. Changing the rod ends would not involve upsetting the camber or castor angles.
Increasing tyre pressures will make steering feel lighter, though.
Light Steering on a Fiesta Query - mfarrow
I found the Mk3 steering light when I drove it, almost to the point of it having power steering. The one I drove though was a 1.1, so a bit lighter, and passengers in the back!
Light Steering on a Fiesta Query - Schnitzel
Sounds like it may be towing out more than before, especially if it turns in with more willingness. Does it seem to want to self-centre less than before?
Light Steering on a Fiesta Query - Civic8
Its normal for replacement track rod ends. To feel better steering afterwards.Old ones may have siezed up/gone stiff..They generaly do this slowly so you dont notice the stiffness in the steering..If every thing has checked out ok with steering checks..See no reason to worry..If you are you can get a steering geometry check done.This will tell you if camber/castor/KPI is out..I suspect not.But dont take my word for it.
--
Steve