Oil prob on Clio - Richie_green

Hi

Hope someone can help.

We have got an S Reg Clio. The oil warning light flashes on and off when warm, going over bumps, or jerking in the gears. It also happens when changing gear but never stays on - any ideas?

Next thing I was going to look at was the electrics but not sure how easy this is?

Rich
Oil prob on Clio - Adam {P}
Patronising I know but have you actually checked the oil level?
--
Adam
Oil prob on Clio - Civic8
Or possibly a loose connection. On the oil pressure switch?
--
Steve
Oil prob on Clio - thallium81
Maybe it is slack bearings/worn oil pump as it occurs intermittently only when the oil is hot. Is the oil very old?
Oil prob on Clio - mjm
I think you need to know if the light does oil pressure, or pressure and level. It sounds as if the level is low and changing the attitude of the car, over bumps etc, is causing the oil to surge in the sump, starving the pump pick up. This will cause the pressure to drop and trigger the light.
The easiest thing to do is check the level with the dipstick. There is a possibility that a connector is loose, but it sounds more like low oil level to me.
I have checked the level and it is fine with no apparent leaks on our drive or in the garage.
it seems to happen more when the car is warm and when changing gear ie when the clutch is down the light goes off. Then when cornering, it tends to flicker.
I am looking to sell the car but dont want any expensive repairs or people knocking on my door complaining after it is sold!
Would this be an expensive repair or shall I just tell them its a dodgy sensor??

Rich
How long from cold start. Does it take before it happens? Or first bump that makes it glow?
--
Steve
Oil prob on Clio - Altea Ego
It sounds like an electrical gremlin. Check the wiring from the oil pressure sensor to see if its grounding anywhere.
From cold it normally takes around 10 minutes till the light comes on then it appears intermitantly. Nothing in particular seems to set it off but once it starts, it wont go off until we stop driving.

Would repairs be expensive?
As I mentioned before.Still sounds like a loose wire.probably from the oil pressure sensor/related wiring..Oil temp takes a bit longer than 10 minutes.to heat up...
--
Steve