Used polo - Nicole17
Hi,

Please can anyone advice if £6990 is a fair price for a sept 2003 registered polo. 1.2litre, 65BHP, S model, 5 doors, 8000 miles, manual, air conditioning.

Regards,
Nicole
Used polo - Sunny22
Not a bad price, depends if its from a dealer or private. Autotrader theres one or two 'Twist' models for a similar price and i think you get a few more extras in them....
Used polo - carl_a
It?s not a bad price considering the VW prestige prices but you could have a new car from another manufacturer for the same money. The Polo isn't a bad car but its not that great either, Toyota and Honda have better offerings and the Skoda Fabia is said to be more reliable.
Used polo - Cardew
the Skoda Fabia is said to be more reliable.

Same platform - mostly the same components in the Polo.

Better value possibly? but more reliable? Could it be Skoda(and Seat) owners have lower expectations and so give it higher ratings in owners surveys?

On the initial question asked - buy a new one!
Used polo - Canon Fodder

Nicole,

Be aware that this was the period that VW were having the coil pack problems - well worth checking that they've been swapped out as they'll surely cause problems if not.

That price sounds like main dealer sticker price to me, £7k is too much for an 18 month old 1.2s, as they sell new with big discounts from list.

CF
Used polo - Bill Payer
I think the 'Twist' model (quite well equipped) is available from VW dealers for around £8500 (maybe less if you haggle or go through a broker) so £7000 sounds high. If you're borrowing most of the money then repayments (whether PCP or HP) would hardly be any different.

You could also look at Seat Ibiza (it's a Polo in a different body). Much better value, model for model (we've got a 1.2S). I thought the lack of remote central locking on the Polo was ridiculous, and (even last August) they all had cassette players, CD was a stupid price (like £400?). I've got a feeling Polo's equip might have been updated since then.
Used polo - Bill Payer
From HJ's 'Weeks best deals 11th Feb':
----------------------------
CAR BROKERS NET

Stocks of 2,000 new, unregistered UK supplied cars direct from UK main dealers. Prices are on the road and cars are ready to drive away.

VW POLO TWIST 1.2 3DR £7877 - Save £718

These and many more at www.car-brokers.net
-----------------------------

So you ought to be able to at least split the difference with a VW dealer.
Used polo - Citroënian {P}
That sort of money would get you a brand new Fabia with the same spec and obviously, no miles on it.

Whether you could live with the badge is a different matter, but it's pretty much the same car and you'll get the 3 year warranty with it.

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Used polo - Citroënian {P}
>>Please can anyone advice if £6990 is a fair price for a sept 2003 registered polo. 1.2litre, 65BHP, S model, 5 doors, 8000 miles, manual, air conditioning.

Where's the edit button?! I meant the price & spec you quoted originally, not the one I replied to...
-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Used polo - PW
Could it be Skoda(and Seat) owners have lower expectations
and so give it higher ratings in owners surveys?

Personal experience would be no to that. Swapped a Polo for a Seat Cordoba a few years back. Quality wise the Seat was faultless. And the dealers were excellent. Although the Polo was 5 years old when I sold it- it did feel a bit tired and was starting to rust.

Unfortunately couldn't find any that matched my needs at auction when I sold it- hence the Mondeo.
Used polo - PW
Should have written couldn't find any Seats that matched needs.