Why would a dealer register a used car ? - Chad R
My wife bought a used Fiat Punto about 18 months ago from a Fiat Dealer, she's had no problems with the car but as we're thinking about selling it soon, I wanted to clarify something that's been nagging me ever sinse she bought it;

The car was a "1 previous owner" job, the selling dealer had registered the car in their name after purchasing it - WHY ?

I always thought that the "trade" didn't have to register cars - would they have registered it to get round some tax issue or similar ?

Or maybe it could be to cover up something more sinister......... ?

Any answers/ ideas would be welcome ....... if only to put me out of my misery.

Chad.R
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - Dan J
Increase their monthly sales figure to reach target perhaps?
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - Dwight Van-Driver
Chad.

I understand that ,whereas you as a private buyer have to notify DVLC forthwith of your acquistion of a motor vehicle, even if you do not use it on a public road, this is extended to 3 months if it is intended to only use the vehicle on a road on a Trade licence (Garage). After 3 months garage buying in has to notify change of ownership. (See Reg 12 (1) (c) Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regs 1971.
Could it be they have had it in for more than 3 months before your purchase.

DVD
PS Not sure what effect SORD has on this - haven't the relevant legislation,sorry.
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - BrianT
This is possibly an ex hire car from the Channel Islands fleet. Many of these are owned by FIAT leasing and then brought into the UK after 6 months on the hire runs, whereupon they have to be re-registered, either by FIAT or by one of their dealers. Hence the 1 previous owner tag on the V5.
Its nothing to fret about, I had an Uno just the same and it was a well looked after car.
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - Mark (Brazil)
Perhaps because of *who* the previous owner was ? Avis, Met Police, bin Laden, whatever ??
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - Tomo
Interesting. I went to see a yardful of Jap imports, none of which bore number plates. Having selected Toad, after a trip under trade plates and presumably appropriately insured, the drill was that I transferred my insurance from Thomas on the VIN/chassis/frame number, and sent the certificate to Calder Motor Co. (whom God preserve to procure more nice motors).

When I got the registration document (eventually) from Swansea, there was Calder Motor Co as previously recorded keeper. Presumably the car has to have some sort of identity when it is imported, under the name of the importer?
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - colin
Some years ago I bought a Golf advertised as one owner. Turned out the garage to which it was registered used it as a rental/courtesy car.
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - T lucas
If your Fiat dealer taxed the car for you he would have used his insurance certificate.Many dealers do that rather than try and explain to their excited punter that they need their insurance certificate to tax the car.Nothing sinister just saves time and effort trying to make the punter understand.
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - Chad R
Thanks for the replies Gents,

The 1st owner of the car was a local lady (on the service documents and other documentation), the dealer probably registered it because they had for over 3 months.

Chad.R
Re: Why would a dealer register a used car ? - Colin M
Tomo, which insurer do you use? I have been issued trade plates but cannot find an insurer willing to cover (other than Tradex at ££££ rates) imported cars until they have been registered with the DVLA (and these are full UK spec jobs with CoC's). Defeats the point of having the trade plates to get the cars from port to registration office!