Yes or No? - hcm
The car : 2000 Toyota Avensis (1.8 vvti) auto 48 000 miles 1 owner.FSH and all the extras etc £5900

Me - after something reliable for me and a young family of 2 kids. Average 10 000 miles a year.

Before I get it any reason not to?
Yes or No? - DavidHM
£6k is a lot for a four or five year old car, but it should be reliable and it's an automatic, so fairly scarce, with a low mileage. It's not in any way interesting to look at or fun to drive, but you presumably knew that already. If you don't need an auto though, it's too much money.

£600 more would get you a highish mileage (77k) 02 plate Accord 2.0 auto with a better spec from www.tradecentre.co.uk For me, the better spec and the fact that it's 2 years newer would make up for the difference in price.

If you have £2k more you could even get a 66k but one year old (!) Avensis 1.8 T2 automatic, which is the new shape, safer and better, as well as being three years or more newer.

But you pays your money and takes your choice.
Yes or No? - hcm
thanks for all your thoughts. had a look at the tradecentre site and ther were several newer examples, albeit with slightly higher mileages, for a lot less.

is it a good place to get a car?
Yes or No? - Avant
1.8 is quite a small engine for an automatic. Make sure you try it first and are happy with what performance there is.

Blue Haddock is a Toyota dealer - perhaps he'll see this and give you some good advice about models and prices.
Yes or No? - blue_haddock
I had seen the post but at the mo i'm away on a 5 day FSA training course and my head is fried!

Initial thoughts are that the price is a bit high for a 5 year old avensis, if it is something like a GLS it's not too high but if it's only a GS or lower (likely as it's an 1800) then i would only be looking to spend up to about 4500 on it.

But for safe reliable motoring you can't go much wrong with an avensis!
Yes or No? - MichaelR
Seems like a lot of money for a car of that age. I wonder if its really more than twice as good as the 4 year old top of the range Mondeo I bought a year ago - its more than twice the price.
Yes or No? - hcm
(re-posted this as put it in the wrong place before..)

thanks for all your thoughts. had a look at the tradecentre site and there were several newer examples, albeit with slightly higher mileages, for a lot less.

is it a good place to get a car?