Car Hire in USA or UK - helicopter
SWMBO and I are heading off to USA in May with 2 friends and aim to hire a car in Atlanta for 6 days dropping it off in New Orleans.

I have very good rates from www.carrentals.co.uk.ie economy 4 door auto a/c @£116 , Full size 4 door ditto @ £188 , extra £5 per day covers additional driver and damage exclusion waiver.

Has anybody used this company ? If so, what do you think of them. They have offered to price match any rate I get elsewhere.

Alternatively s it better to rent when we get there?
Car Hire in USA or UK - Pugugly {P}
Got a very good deal from Avis (booked over here) couldn't believe how cheap it worked out for an MPV thingy.
Car Hire in USA or UK - Citroënian {P}
We had a very good experience using holidayautos.com - would recommend them
-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Car Hire in USA or UK - Altea Ego
4 people? 4 Lots of baggage? probably wont fit into an economy (or compact) boot. If you are driving far with the baggage go for a full size.
Car Hire in USA or UK - Pugugly {P}
Or one of the dreaded MPV things. We were in the same situation - four adults lots of baggage.
Car Hire in USA or UK - DavidHM
Helicopter - if those prices include the one way supplement, they're very competitive indeed. A lot of the consolidators don't allow you to do one way rentals, which is why I won't be making my usual plug for www.carsabroad.com
We'll probably go for a full size or premium, not the dreaded MPV things.We are very aware of the need for a larger size for four of us us and the luggage - these were the first car rental company people I tried and I was just interested to know if anybody had used them and what sort of service they gave.

As we intend driving to New Orleans via Nashville and Memphis a bit of space is essential.
Car Hire in USA or UK - pd
Most of the companies mentioned are decent enough. Last couple of times in the USA I got a good deal from www.airlinenetwork.co.uk. They use Dollar and if you book a Premium or Luxury you should get one of the new Chysler 300C's which is quite a nice car by US hire car standards.

(Although last month I was on my own I paid an extra $100 for the week upon arrival and had a Crossfire - worked well on US roads)
Car Hire in USA or UK - Cardew(USA)
Certainly cheaper hiring from UK than in the USA.
I pay 137 Pounds a week for a full size from Dollar(in Florida) - 3 litre Ford currently.

Hi Cardew - Sorry but I can't quite why if you are paying £137 per week for a full size in USA and I have a rate from the UK for over £200 for a full size you think its cheaper for me to hire in UK ???

Car Hire in USA or UK - Cardew(USA)
I spend a lot of time in the USA but always hire a car from UK.
I am back in UK tomorrow so will get a price for you.
Davidhm - I checked with the company and you,re right - There is a one way supplement of $100 payable when we get there which does mean its more pricey and with the additional driver , full tank of petrol etc it works out at £210 + the one way supplement around £250 for 6 days..

They do say they will price match if we find a better rate so I'll do a bit of investigation and get a couple more quotes.

Car Hire in USA or UK - THe Growler
Rent the biggest monster you can find, the US is good value. For me its usually a Lincoln Town Car or a big Caddy. Long distances, you need space and comfort. Can't recall what i paid last year but it was less than for some crummy Astra or Fiat at LHR. Don't think UK sizes, think US. An economy car will drive you nuts over long distances.

I normally book and pay through Budget or National where I live (get the airmiles that way) then upgrade when I land in the US.
Car Hire in USA or UK - THe Growler
Rent the biggest monster you can find, the US is good value. For me its usually a Lincoln Town Car or a big Caddy. Long distances, you need space and comfort. Can't recall what i paid last year but it was less than for some crummy Astra or Fiat at LHR. Don't think UK sizes, think US. An economy car will drive you nuts over long distances.

I normally book and pay through Budget or National where I live (get the airmiles that way) then upgrade when I land in the US. The rental companies will always cut you a deal.
As you say Growler, the US is good value, I price checked with Avis in the UK for the US trip and a 'full size' works out about the same as the carrentals internet quote ie £36 a day all in which as you say is about what you would pay for a 'compact' crapmobile in Europe.

Car Hire in USA or UK - GrahamF1
Such good value, in fact, that it was worth saying twice! ;-)
Car Hire in USA or UK - johnny
Went with Hertz for a Focus sized car, and with free upgrade ended up with a 3 litre Ford, you could fit a small car in the boot. marvellous drive, but problem with USA is you can't open it up to full power, found we hardly ever got over 2000 rpm. Felt naughty doing 70mph!

Watch out for the bewildering insurance, it can cost as much as the car rental itself, don't find yourself paying for personal insurance you probably already have.
Car Hire in USA or UK - pd
Watch out for the bewildering insurance, it can cost as much
as the car rental itself, don't find yourself paying for personal
insurance you probably already have.

If you do a lot of car hire in the USA, investigate American Express travel insurance or look into getting an Amex Platinum Card. They include coverage on US hire cars in the same way many USA credit cards do so you don't need all the extra insurance.

If you have pre-booked from the UK insurance is probably included so don't let the sales agent sell you a load more when you collect the car.
Car Hire in USA or UK - trancer
You don't need a Platinum Amex card, the regular green (or gold)one also have car hire cover, though the cover is only for cars with a value of $40,000 or less. So if you are getting something more posh than the standard fare then you would need to be sure you are covered. It is important that all insurance offered by the hire company is declined, otherwise the Amex insurance won't be valid. So you couldn't get basic cover from hire company and have Amex provide a LDW top up.
Car Hire in USA or UK - smokie
I'm hiring a convertible in Florida for 10 days soon, through airline-network. All inclusive price with SLI etc, through Dollar I believe. However, in the smallish print there is a locally payable surcharge ($3.30 per day IIRC), something to do with the cost of them providing the airport service. Only applies to certain airports, but makes it worth reading the small print...
Car Hire in USA or UK - Bill Payer
I'm hiring a convertible in Florida for 10 days soon, through
airline-network. All inclusive price with SLI etc, through Dollar I believe.
However, in the smallish print there is a locally payable surcharge
($3.30 per day IIRC), something to do with the cost of
them providing the airport service.

If it really is 'all-inclusive' then you shouldn't have to pay anything - I've hired lots of cars in Florida and the only variation is that some deals include a free tank of fuel & some don't.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm now moving on from 'full' size and looking at the 'luxury ' or ( dare I say ) 4 x 4 prices and reckon to get a Buick Le Sabre , Chevy Blazer or similar for £315 for a week all in. ie inclusive of insurances, one way surcharge , taxes ,with 3 extra drivers and full tank of gas. These prices are via internet in UK.

Cardew I'd be very interested to know how you managed to get the sort of price you have from Dollar in UK as they were not particularly competitive when I spoke to them.

Helicopter - don't go direct to Dollar, they are always more than dealing with a 3rd party.

www.airline-network.co.uk use Dollar and a quick check showed a Jeep Cherokee 4 x 4, for 6 days, pick up at Atlanta drop at New Orleans plus full gas and any drivers over 25 and all insurance at £238. A little table on the left of their screen shows the one way charges which it says are payable locally. I guess these aren't included in the £238.

If you can stretch your holiday by another day, the weekly rate is even lower (£229).

Therre are useful price comparator web sites which I use for guidance (for all kinds of things!) - www.kelkoo.co.uk or www.dealtime.co.uk are just two...

btw someone above mentioned my price wasn't all inclusive - that was my phrase, not the hirers, and although the additional Miami surcharge wasn't as clearly highlighted as it might have been, it certainly wasn't hidden too far from sight - I didn't intend to completely mislead...
Smokie - I have spoken to airline network and yes, they do seem to be the most competitive so far with a basic price of £200 for a 'luxury' which includes unlimited mileage, loss damage waiver, supplemental liability insurance, state and local airport taxes etc etc plus a £7 charge for up to 3 extra drivers and full tank of gas. To this the one way surcharge has to be added which is $100 plus tax paid locally so the total cost all in is around £270 or £38 per day.

A Jeep Cherokee will be around £20 more , say £290 or £ 42 per day but may not be suitable for my travelling companion who is on crutches and would have trouble with the high entry.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Car Hire in USA or UK - Cardew
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm now moving on from 'full' size and looking at
the 'luxury ' or ( dare I say ) 4 x
4 prices and reckon to get a Buick Le Sabre ,
Chevy Blazer or similar for £315 for a week all in.
ie inclusive of insurances, one way surcharge , taxes ,with 3
extra drivers and full tank of gas. These prices are via
internet in UK.
Cardew I'd be very interested to know how you managed to
get the sort of price you have from Dollar in UK
as they were not particularly competitive when I spoke to them.

Helicopter,
Now back in UK.

The price with the firm I use for an Alamo car will be £172 for a week for the full size and £192 for the premium car. It is cheaper to rent for a week and hand it in a day earlier. The US$100 charge for dropping off in a different state applies.

This is for their 'Gold' cover which includes all insurances, a full tank of petrol and up to 4 drivers.

If you are interested the firm is called Sunchase - ring Peter on 01352 755759. I have no connection with the firm etc except I use them frequently.

C
Cardew - Thanks for the info , I have spoken to Peter at Sunchase and he was very helpful.

They have given prices all in using Alamo for a luxury motor
( Cadillac De Ville) of £202 or £208 for a 4 x 4 ( Chevrolet Blazer) The $100 one way surcharge also applies.

This makes them around £10 cheaper over the week than airline network because airline network charge extra for extra drivers and a full tank of gas.

It is interesting that he started Sunchase because he was fed up with going to the States and thinking he had paid for everything on car hire and then being charged for all the extras.

Sunchase is a little cheaper because he is really a 'One man Band' with few overheads.

One annoying thing with USA rental companies is that you have to pay for a full tank of fuel at inflated prices(by USA standards) unless you have the 'Gold' option. I paid for 18 gallons at $2.78 a gallon and you bring the car back empty. The price at the pumps(in Florida) is about $1.90 - approx 25p a litre. The fuel guage is reading full when you get it but you can get in a further couple of gallons and it would be a brave person who returned it with a pint or so left in the tank. Its not the biggest rip-off, but an irritation.

Regarding annual insurance like AMEX provide, there are other policies available through NatWest for £75 or the direct from the firm NatWest use for £99. This covers CDW/SLI/UMP - there was a thread on this about a year ago. I normally get my cars without insurance and use this policy. However prices have increased recently and it doesn't pay unless you visit for several weeks each year. I didn't use it last time as a friend staying with me wanted to drive and he would not have been covered.
Sorry Cardew , I know collision damage waiver and excess liability insurance but the UMP is what I get with these acronyms - what is it?

Also what are CFC's and HSF's which we would be covered for by airline network apparently. I always thought CFC's were greenhouse gases.

Confusing or what?

We will probably take up the Gold option which seemingly includes all the necessary insurances.

I also have an annual travel policy as I work in both the middle east and UK . This gives me an additional £2,000,000 public liability in the event of being sued by a litigous Yank.

Thanks again for the help - I owe you a virtual pint.
Not that you asked, but I would choose the Cadillac over the Blazer anyday. If you have never been in one, you are in for a treat when driving the DeVille. And its cheaper!
Trouble is trancer that you are never guaranteed what car you are going to get - I must admit I am tempted by the Caddy.

We may yet go for that as my friend is on crutches , climbing into a 4x4 is a struggle for him.

Any DeVille class car (Town Car, Crown Vic etc) would be an equally smooth enjoyable drive. Don't expect any roadhandling or spirited motoring, but on holiday on the highways of America, smooth and effortless rules the day.
Car Hire in USA or UK - JohnX
Saw this discussion quite late and most of what I intended to say has been covered-
Had used Dollar rental through airline network to book a Dodge Stratus 2.4 for 3 days £66 all inclusive,including a full tank of petrol!
Had to stay on for another day,so rented a bigger car ie a Pontiac Grand Prix 3.7 litre for a day at £28 again all inclusive from Budget.Both companies had exceptional service,but the former is more competitive.
However you can only book atleast a week in advance on the airline network site.There was an option by which you could click on a free Platinum upgrade which got you a free full tank and additional drivers for no extra cost.
The only company that were reasonable on one way rental were National car rental.I dont think they quoted anything extra,or perhaps a minimal amount.
I agree with the others.Its better to rent the biggest and most comfy car,since long journeys become less tiresome and where in the U.K can you drive a 4 litre car and pay for it what you would essentially pay for a Micra here!
Interesting question helicopter. I have annual travel insurance with liability cover etc but I assumed that the SLI you buy with car hire was not in my annual policy. I think you are assuming the same, but I will await someone's answer with bated wotsit...
Sorry Cardew , I know collision damage waiver and excess
liability insurance but the UMP is what I get with these
acronyms - what is it?

I also get the ump with uninsured motorists and that insurance is to Protect you from them! Not heard of CFC/HSF in car insurance.

CDW is sometimes called LDW and SLI is supplementary liability insurance.
By the way few people realise that US rental car firms only cover you for US$1 million with SLI which, given medical costs and damages awarded by US courts, will not cover you for a great deal if you injure someone in an accident that is your fault. After that $1M is used up they come after your possesions.

Also being drunk/drugged invalidates your insurance.