Mondeo Diesel - Alvin Booth
My son in law has a Mondeo diesel which simply will not pull away from rest with any speed. From what he tells me it sounds as if the turbo is not coming in from low revs but this is only a guess.
His job is driving Texaco fuel tankers on regular nights and he was telling me today about meeting a chap the other night who is one of Fords leading training engineers who travels all over the continent training mechanics on diesel engines etc.
John explained his problem and the fella said this was a fairly common one on Mondeo'sand had something to do with a split on a plastic pipe possibly to the pump, and described in detail what was happening.
Despite Johns great experience as an HGV driver he has no more idea what goes on under the bonnet of a car (or a lorry for that matter) than the garage cat and by the time he got back he couldn't remember what he had been told.
He says that when he pulls away from a road junction he has to slip the clutch to get the speed up. Once its up to normal running it runs normally. He bought the car new about two years ago.
I told him I was sure one of you gang will come up with something.

regards

Alvin Booth
Re: Mondeo Diesel - trevor
could be losing boost pressure from the turbo on a split pie at the end of the intercooler - the elbow that connects to the inlet manifold - rev the engine and listen for hissing at pipe and look for oil mist showing possible split . sometimes the intercooler can split too to lose boost pressure
Re: Mondeo Diesel - Stephen Farnfield
Check the throttle cable. It has a spring loaded section about 8" from the pump. This is to stop harsh accelerating in town. It works by slowing down the openning of the pump. But what happens is that instead of openning the pump sligthly after your foot has gone to the floor, it only opens the pump approx 50%. The same happens on VW T4 1.9td .VW will sell you a solid cable. To get round Ford problem, On the righthand end of the spring unit is a small grove, just enough to place a clip, this has the effect of making the cable solid thus openning the pump as you put your foot down giving you much better control. Also on the pump is a small gas strut, remove it, it will damage the pump in the long run. The last thing to do is to put your foot flat to the floor and get someone to check if the pump is being fully opened, if not adjust as required.

Good luck
Stephen