Rover 416 98 R Tourer Radio Display CD - Daz
Hi, I have just purchased an R 98 tourer but the clock radio display on the dash does not function properly. I have currently replaced the old tape player with an old sony cd player for the time being but have some questions as I like my cars to remain original and with factory fitted equipment:

1. Will any clock/radio display work with any of the Rover CD head units?

2. Which would be the best single CD player to fit with the display.

3. Anyone know where you get replacement displays cheaper than the £40 ones on ebay!

Cheers

Rover 416 98 R Tourer Radio Display CD - Rover Boy
Hi,

Is this is the excruciatingly expensive XQH100010? As the Tourer is the old 200/400 design I'm not sure whether it uses the 200/400 clock (much cheaper) or the clock used on the new shape 400 series.

Rgds.
Rover 416 98 R Tourer Radio Display CD - Civic8
Think you will find 2/400 clock is seperate from radio.95 on 400 series has display from connection on rear of stereo..Giving station frequency and time.So for your Tourer it wont apply. ie all you get is the time.
--
Steve
Rover 416 98 R Tourer Radio Display CD - mfarrow
I think this is the excrutiatingly expensive unit, my dad had one replaced on his P-reg Tourer and cost about £90. The one on his displays the radio station/frequency as well as the time when radio is off. Symptoms on his was missing segments. Maybe be able to fix it if you take old one apart and clean contacts? Not sure.
Rover 416 98 R Tourer Radio Display CD - Rover Boy
Hi,

As far as I can ascertain, the Tourers had R660, R770 and R860 radio/cassette players fitted (but Rover does swap radios about with a rather care-free attitude). The R770 and R860 also had the ability to play CDs held in a remote changer. These two radios displayed the cd info on the remote display on the fascia, which was indeed the famed XQH100010, indentical to that fitted to the 200/400 range that superseded the Tourer/214/216/etc. The old 214/216 clocks had a flap over the hour/minute buttons and a small display. The later clocks had no flap and a larger display. The Tourer fascia fitting looks a doddle to fit, just remove the clock surround (the hard bit to do without damage) and access the clock.

On our 420 we were quoted some £110++ for supply and fit at the Rover franchise, but it is a pig to fit. I bought a new unit on Ebay for £41 - reasonable at the time. I had to bid for a few to get one at a sensible price. I couldn't find a cheaper alternative to Ebay for new units: second hand ones were about £25 to £50 from breakers, and were, well, secondhand.

Our radio is the single CD unit, CD43. As it is the low end unit the clock/display only shows the time, so I suppose we were paying for the radio display we will never use. The clock/display will work with all the Rover units. The clock display will also show whatever make of radio you use, but I'm not sure whether the CD display can be made to show if you have a different make of radio. There is a separate connection from the radio to the clock for the radio display: companies sell various adapter leads for this purpose, try a Google search.

I often ponder about opening up my old unit and repairing it - but then realise that it's probably a waste of time. The circuit board has probably gone.

Rgds.
Rover 416 98 R Tourer Radio Display CD - Daz
Cheers for your help guys. Mine definitely has the radio data as well as time which worked on the tape player but I do not want a remote or seperate cd player.

Therefore I may be as well to either try to repair current one or just stick a normal clock in.
Rover 416 98 R Tourer Radio Display CD - Civic8
Check to make sure its plugged in to back of radio.Socket is next to speaker/power socket.
--
Steve