Renault Megane 1.5 dCi - machika
Anyone any experience of this engine? What is your opinion? I am still looking around at auto diesels and didn't know that the Megane had such an option. The performance figures are hardly exciting, although the economy looks good.
Renault Megane 1.5 dCi - ma
I sold one a couple of weks ago. from what I remember on a 100 mile trip across country, the engine and gearbox combination felt a lot quicker than the figures suggest. I thought that it held the gears rather longer than I would in a manual but other than that it went well.
Renault Megane 1.5 dCi - cheddar
The auto is the 1.5 100, great engine, very punchy in the Clio though with a manual box, on the otherhand the 1.9 120 is much better in the heavier Scenic though is manual only, the Megane hatch is lighter and more aerodynamic than a Scenic so should be ok.
Renault Megane 1.5 dCi - tack
My son has a 1.5D Megane and drives from Maldon Essex each day into Ilford. Gets excellent MPG. Car feels more punchy than engine size suggests. However, only let down is the trim rattle. Otherwise, nice car.
Renault Megane 1.5 dCi - Xileno {P}
We bought a Megane 1.5 Dci 100bhp Dynamique last year and are very pleased with it. This is our fourth Renault.
The 1.5 100bhp engines goes very well, returning on average 50 mpg which is good considering most of its use is urban. On a longer run it will get to 55 mpg. When you get to about 3500rpm it emits a quite sporty roar as well which is fun. From cold there is the usual diesel noise but it's well subdued and soon settles down to a quiet hum. The five speed gearbox felt a bit notchy at first but is becoming much smoother as the miles pile on.

The rest of the car is good as well. We liked all our previous Renaults but this Megane has really moved the quality up a good few levels. The exterior quality is faultless, the panel gaps are all tight and even and the paint finish is amazing. The interior is very well assembled as well, the doors shut
beautifully with a nice solid feel. There are no rattles from anywhere. The lid on the storage bin between the seats feels a bit cheap, a few more euros on that please Renault.

Dislikes? Not a great fan of the aircraft style hand brake, it feels awkward to me. Also the Sports alloys make the ride too firm, more like a German car whereas the Laguna was like a sofa on wheels.

Overall we are very happy with our Megane, the styling makes me smile whenever I look at it. It's fast enough, economical and well built with enough design flair to set it apart from the masses. The only thing we've had to replace is a sidelight bulb.

Definitely would buy another but might look at the 1.9 next.

...or the Megane 225 Sport :-)
Renault Megane 1.5 dCi - Altea Ego
Oh Gawd. I hope Nicole is not reading this, she is rattling my cage about a new car :(
Renault Megane 1.5 dCi - Conditional Identity
Whilst I can't assist with the dynamics of the 1.5D, I can agree with Xileno in singing the praises of the Megane.

Got mine (1.6 Expression) 6 months ago, and have now covered 15,000 miles with only a couple of niggles.

I have subsequently driven the 1.9D and wished I'd bought that (the price difference was too much at the time) as I found it eager yet frugal. I imagine the 1.5D could feel a little underpowered.