Carberettered 106 - Matt
I have as a second car a peugeot 106 1.0 Litre 1991 Petrol engined car. It came to me 6 years ago after being owned from new by an elderly couple, since then it has covered 40,000 miles but has recently had some problems with starting after being left for more than 24 hours without use.

Eventually it will start but requires incredible persuasion and patience!! It has passed its MOT with no problem is regularly serviced, travels at least 10-20miles. The problem seems worse when damp outside but happens in all weather. Once warm it starts instantly and never gives any other problems. Can anyone suggest what the problem could be and of course how I can fix it.
Re: Carberettered 106 - honestjohn
Duff or dirty HT leads.

HJ
Re: Carberettered 106 - Jaap Van Der pijl
Has this model got a Manual choke ? we forget about these nowadays, I think it has one on the same side of the steering column as the Ignition Key.

If this is not the case, check for Duff or Dirty Ht Leads, look under the bonnet in the dark for arcing or sparks.

They are probably 30 quid a set.

Good Luck !
Re: Carberettered 106 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Very common problem is the distributor cap centre electrode which breaks up. The result is the spark has to jump an extra 4-5mm. This coupled with any dampness or oil contamination inside the cap gives a no-start situation. Replace cap AND rotor if not in perfect condition and treat it to new leads and sparkplugs.
Re: Carberettered 106 - Matt
Thanks for all the advice. It is booked in for this years MOT very soon so I will make sure it gets new leads and plugs while it is there.

Regards

Matt
Re: Carberettered 106 - Peter Todd
I have had similar problems on other cars and one area I find at fault is the battery earth lead where it attaches to the engine and chassis. Remove the earth lead and polish the attachment points, lead, washers and any attached terminals. One other point to consider is the low amp wire that goes onto the starter motor, this often corrodes and introduces a high resistance assuming it hasn't fallen off. Remove gently, clean and refit.