Crazy driving instructor - daveyjp
Two incidents by the same instructor yesterday questioned his ability to actually teach driving.

Two lane road which goes in to a single carriageway with a forty limit. Just after the dual finishes there is a side road. I?m approaching the side road at around 40 ? a good way off, but at 40 mph you cover ground quickly. See car pull out of junction ? if this had been an experienced driver it would have needed some sharpish acceleration to leave the junction and prevent other vehciles having to slow considerably. I slowed to around 10 mph to allow learner to continue ? another driver could have been in to advanced road rage by now!!

Learner was obviously new to a car and oversteered from the junction and almost hit the kerb, then proceeded at 20 mph moving between the kerb and the white line. IMO instructor was wrong in allowing very inexperienced learner to leave the junction with fast moving traffic approaching.

Half a mile further on set of lights on red. Two lanes on approach, both for straight ahead. Inside lane has two HGVs, a number of cars, the learner then me. Outside lane has three cars. After the lights the double lanes end very quickly ? just enough time for one or two cars to get in front of an HGV.

Instructor advises learner to go in to outside lane. This would be fine for an experienced motorist, but for a new learner this will involve them filtering in between HGVs and plenty of other vehicles.

Lights change to green, first two cars get in front of HGVs ? second one just. Other car filters, then learner panics and slams on stopping in the middle of the road. This results in a van which was now behind the learner making a rapid undertaking manoeuvre to avoid a collision. Learner ends up indicating left to join traffic! Again IMO the instructor put the learner in to a situation she couldn?t cope with. If she had stayed in the inside lane she would have just flowed with the rest of the traffic. The lights stay on green for ages as they only serve a small industrial estate.

I know we all have to learn, but the experience can?t be made easy if your instructor continually advises you to drive like someone with years of experience and subsequently puts you in danger!