temp gauge on the astra - sajid
yesterday drove my astra 94 1.4 to wakefield, the only apparent thing was the temp guage was in the blue and not rising at all, to its normal temp, which is halfway.

upon stopping i drove in the petrol station and thought i might have a blockage so i gave the hoses a good squeeze, the temp went to half but settled back to the blue, i think it could be the thermostat, the car runs normally.

Any ideas ??
temp gauge on the astra - Civic8
Sounds like stat..Would replace rapid as all the time running too cool. It affects fuel consumption..
--
Steve
temp gauge on the astra - redviper
This is more than likley, as you say the thermostat.
Its worth changing though, not to hard on a Astra, and they cost a couple of quid from a parts shop, i dont know if its the same on the newer astra's but remeber to put sone type of casget sealent around thermo when refitting.

Ste

--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
temp gauge on the astra - Crinkly Dave
Have you checked the water level, and that you don't have an airlock?

At least changing the thermostat is simple on these
It was the thermostat, got it fitted also bought the sealent a rubber ring that fits around the thermostat, i also refilled with new anti- freeze the cost of the parts including the anti freeze was £8 the fitting of the thermostat was £20, the thermostat was placed just behind the timing belt so that had to be removed, i was lucky to get a cheap mechanic cos he a old friend to me.

I enquired in another garage how much to change the thermostat and they quoted £60
temp gauge on the astra - Dynamic Dave
the thermostat was placed just behind the timing belt so that had to be removed,

Are you saying the same belt was re-fitted? For the price of a new one (£15 or thereabouts) I would have also had that replaced as well, seeing as it had to be removed anyway.
Dave I had the Belt changed one year ago so dont need to get it replaced
temp gauge on the astra - Caveman
False economy if you ask me. As DD says, it had to be removed anyway, and the price of a new belt is pennies. A new belt will stretch slighty, but an existing belt has already stretched, and if tensioned incorrectly could prove costly later.
temp gauge on the astra - DuffBus
My astra (98 S) does a similar thing, the needle usually sits just above the blue. On a prolonged motorway run it gets a bit higher. Would this be the same problem??
DuffBus.It will as its cold mean you use the heater while driving to keep either or both. Windows free from condensation/keep yourself warm.If your heater is very hot and coping with keeping you warm.You probably have a problem with the temp sender unit..If blower is cool most of the time.This would suggest thermostat is remaining open.It should open/close according to varying water temp.So engine runs at its peak at all times..
--
Steve
Steve: It sounds like you're right about the sender, if I switch the heater off and put it to cold the needle does rise (but then I freeze!!)
Is it something I need to sort out - ie. does it cause the car any problems?
Its thermostat.The blower is taking any heat in the cooling system into the cabin..Sender sounds like its working ok..I would get replaced asap. Due to overcooling of the engine means you are using more fuel than need be.It will. if left cause problems
--
Steve
Thanks steve - will do.......you don't know anything about bulbs by any chance (just posted a new thread) :)
I have had problems with bulbs.But this problem.As you have posted a new thread.May answer their though. its not an easy one to answer.
--
Steve