You're on TV, Baby - hillman
Advertisment seen in the Sunday Times motoring supplement 6 Feb.2005:

?The Back Seat Video Baby Monitor allows you to keep an eye on the baby in the back without turning around. The device comprises a small video camera mounted on the head restraint and a 2.5in screen attached to the dashboard. In daylight the image is in colour and at night the camera uses infra-red sensors to provide a mono picture?.

Discuss?
Beats eating apples?
You're on TV, Baby - Schnitzel
Isn't that illegal while moving?
I know a TV/video is.
You're on TV, Baby - frostbite
Sounds like the ultimate in gimmicky expensive laziness to me.

Plus, Schnitzel is almost certainly correct about legality.
You're on TV, Baby - Dynamic Dave
Isn't that illegal while moving?
I know a TV/video is.

How come Sat Nav isn't?
You're on TV, Baby - Pugugly {P}
Specifically excempted under the Act.
You're on TV, Baby - martint123
Rear view camera/monitor ? Doesn't some swish car with no rear visibility come with this? I know at least one motorbike does (but can't remember which one).
You're on TV, Baby - Adam {P}
Primera I think.
--
Adam
You're on TV, Baby - blue_haddock
Yep new shape Primera has it as does the corolla verso if you get the Full Map Sat Nav option. There are a few cars with reversing camera's on now.

My understanding of the law on TV screens was that if it was in front of the front seats it needs to be switched so that it can only be operated whilst the vehicle is stationary - usual method is a microswitch on the handbrake.
You're on TV, Baby - commerdriver
Sounds like an expensive alternative to a suitably angled stick on mirror
You're on TV, Baby - Chas{P}
Yes, the Primera and it's known as the 'tottycam' in Nissan circles!
You're on TV, Baby - Robbie
I can recall visiting Chiang Mai some years ago, and many of the baht buses - pick ups used as taxis - had small TVs on the dash boards. It was quite disconcerting to see the driver watching tv whilst he was driving.
Maybe Sat Nav, rearview monitor, Hummer night vision are just instrumentation like an on board computer. Moving pictures/video is a different matter. It is allowed, but not in the line of sight of the driver.
You're on TV, Baby - Dynamic Dave
Maybe Sat Nav, rearview monitor, Hummer night vision are just instrumentation
like an on board computer. Moving pictures/video is a different matter.

You get moving pictures on a Sat Nav system though.

I thought the rearview camera only worked when reverse gear was selected. If you want to see where you've just come from while driving forwards, why not simply use the mirrors ;o)
You're on TV, Baby - Dwight Van Driver
Regulation 109 MV Con and Use Regs 1986

No person shall drive, cause or permit a vehicle to be driven, a MV on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or my reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information:

About state of vehicle and equipment,
About location of vehicle and the road on which it is located,
To assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle,or
To assist the driver to reach his destination.

TV defined means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image dereived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or cumputer.

(Looks as if an update required as plasma screens don't seem to be covered???)

DVD
You're on TV, Baby - Stuartli
>>other cinematographic apparatus>>

So that rules out my Pathe 9.5 cine camera and screen then...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
"TV defined means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image dereived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or cumputer."

Oh so seeing as none I've ever seen are CRT-based, instead being LCD or TFT does that mean the law doesn't apply to them?