VW Passat replacement ideas - wonderwheels
I have a 2001 1.9TDi Passat (130).It is approaching 60K miles now and will need a few hundred pounds spent on it,just to keep it "reliable".i.e the timing belt,tyres,MOT and an oil & filter.Looked at replacing it,mainly because of the poor build quality.(I actually enjoy driving it), but I've had the car 3 years now.Test drove a '53 04 plate Vectra Sri and was really diappointed with the acceleration.Compared to the DIESEL Passat,it seems very poor.Not impressed at all.Budget of around £11000.I do approx 15K miles a year.The Vectra appealed to me as it wa priced at £9999,however a £5500 trade-in made my mind up!!
VW Passat replacement ideas - adverse camber
Have you seen Robins threads about replacing his passat ? The Toyota Avensis seems to have won that vote, the threads are over the last couple of days so have alook.

at 15K / year I would think it is borderline to make it worth paying extra for a diesel ?
VW Passat replacement ideas - JohnM{P}
I found the rear headroom lacking in the hatchback Avensis and so got an overnight estate demonstrator. Rear headroom was much improved, but I found it noiser (road/suspension) than expected. However, halfway down the motorway, I realised that I was being 'jiggled' physically, and it annoyed me from then on. In my Mk4 Golf (which was towards the back of the queue when suspension development resources were allocated...!) I can feel the same bumps, but it doesn't 'jiggle' me up and down...
I don't know if this is peculiar to the estate or whether the h/b suffers from this also.
VW Passat replacement ideas - Ed V
I have a similar issue to solve. I'm leaning towards the Signum although the interior plastics look less than brilliant, but that won't mean much. Depreciation is awesome from new, so bargains around, cheap to run and a good choice of engines too. The Lexus IS200 would get many votes.
VW Passat replacement ideas - vwdriver
I think the mazda 6 is the best car in the class. It recently did exceptionally well in the top gear customer satisfaction survey( which I think is a really good guide to use to decide on a car) and there are not many around either which makes it even better.
VW Passat replacement ideas - machika
Someone is bound to recommend a Mondeo. I won't recommend a C5, as it would be ignored anyway.
VW Passat replacement ideas - Dynamic Dave
Test drove a '53 04 plate Vectra Sri and was really diappointed with
the acceleration.Compared to the DIESEL Passat,it seems very poor.
Not impressed at all.Budget of around £11000.

I take it that was the older Vectra diesel?
If your budget can stretch a little further, say another £500 or so, then there are some 1.9 CDTi's (150bhp) diesel Vectra's going for around £11,500. Just found a handful of them on Autotrader site. (use link to the left if you want to search)
VW Passat replacement ideas - wonderwheels
It was actually the Vectra petrol Sri model.For a car with a 2.2 engine I was surprised at how poor the acceleration is.The Passat is a much better "put together" package.Acceleration is great.It was mainly the price that attracted me, but I now think that I am leaning towards the Mazda 6 or 3, or an Avensis.If I could afford it I would choose the Honda Accord, but my budget definitely doesn't stretch that far.Thanks for the advice.
VW Passat replacement ideas - Dynamic Dave
It was actually the Vectra petrol Sri model.For a car with
a 2.2 engine I was surprised at how poor the acceleration is.

That does surprise me. Mine's got the 2.2 engine in, coupled to an auto box, and it's no slouch. Have also driven one with a manual box, albiet not the SRi, and that went like the clappers as well. Would have thought the SRi (if they still fit a close ratio gearbox) would have been even quicker?