106 buying tips - lix
Hi all,

Going to look at a 106 tomorrow for my old dear to replace her ailing (and mayo clogged) Fiesta. I'd appreciate any pointers as to what particular faults/quirks I should be looking for (in addition, or to expand on the reports in the car-by-car breakdown).

It's a 1996 Petrol (facelifted) with around 56k on the clock. In particular I'd like to know the cambelt change interval. I've been told over the phone by the local dealer that it's 72,000 miles, but can't seem to extract an age rather than a mileage.

I have also been quoted two different prices from main dealers for the cost of changing the belt. One asks £74.99 whilst another wants £74.99 only if you hand over another £149.99 for a service at the same time.

Any input appreciated.
Alex
106 buying tips - misterp
From personal experiance with a diesel of similar age that I have had nearly five years.

I would want the cambelt channged asap

Check passenger and driver seat mounts are not lose

check rear break cylinders

check radiator condition

Check seat belt units release smoothly

Condition of spare as it takes a hamering undr the car

Exhaust system,especially manifold end

Sunroof for leaks (check for stains on passenger/driver seat if cloth is light)

Front indicator retention springs

Not been overfilled with oil ( only takes 3.5l, easily done)

Washer filler pipe secure

Sounds a lot but for me this car has cost pennies to run over 5 years so far, touch wood
106 buying tips - madf
SWMBO has owned hers from new 11 years ago.
Apart from the above:

front offside balljoint to lower wishbone wears: check by jacking up and rocking wheel (care needed)

Check all hoses especially complex ones as they can wear/split.

Check for signs of coolant leaks/overheating and walk away if there are: £££

When you start it up check the top hose does not go rigid: if it does then you have HGF and compression of the water system..

madf

106 buying tips - Peter D
Bought a 106 Look2 1.1L 1998 (R) staight out of the back door of a dealer £1500. Belt interval is 72K best done at 60K and tension is important. New radiator due to bottom corner corrosion and seapage £56 Plus Vat, difficult to get the air out amd use the pug antifreeze. 2 Tyres. Check for the presence of a spare and its condition, check for water ingress of water into the boot, check for corrosion around the hanger brakets on the rear silencer box and downpipes do corrode. Been a great car for my daughter although on long journeys she does get back ache due to the offset seating position. i.e. the pedals are not inline with the seat there off to the left due to the wheel arche. Still a great we car. Regards Peter
106 buying tips - Chuffer Dandridge
Cambelt change cost circa £80 on my 1.4xnd.

Haynes manual says recommended interval for cambelt replacment is 72K, but they suggest 36K is a safer option.

Great cars for local journeys, and can manage longer distances if required.