Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - Chris7
In this weeks Auto Express, there is a small article "New on the shelves" regarding an Oil Filter Magnet from a company called www.filtermag.co.uk which will according to the write up, remove all traces of metal fragments that the oil filter does not remove. Does anyone use this item, is it any good or are we in the world of snakeoil once again.
Regards
Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - Roger Jones
Plenty of discussion of this in the archives. And

www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/engineoil_bible....l

probably says something sensible about them. Snake oil, as far as I'm concerned.
Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - Badger
Didn't we once have magnetic sump plugs?
Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - trancer
I had metallic sump-plugs on motorcycles (original fitment) and on occasion there would be metal particles stuck to it. No clue if those particles would be harmful to the engine if they had not been caught by the magnet. Most motorcycles share engine and gearbox oil so maybe there is more of a need for it as gearboxes might be more likely to create metallic swarf?.
Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - Hugo {P}
Roger,

The site actually recommends them. They fit on the outside of you oil filter to retain the magnetic particles and stop them going beck into the engine.

Personally I would have thought that a large sump magnet would be more effective. A similar trick is used in the Machine tool industry, where shedloads of swarf is created. The coolent is recycled via the sump where it drains to from the cutting area/job. Although there are filtration systems in place to pull the swarf out, magnets have proved to be beneficial with ferrous materials.

Oh, and your oil filter magnet will only pick us steel/iron particles, not alloy, which makes up a sizable proportion of the engine.

H
Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - kenl
I'd think they wouldn't do any good on a modern alloy engine.
Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - trancer
Surely alloy engines don't have alloy bearings, cam/crank shafts or valve contact surfaces/guides which I suspect could produce metallic swarf. Many also have steel cylinder liners and steel piston rings which could also produce swarf. As I understand it an "alloy engine" refers mainly to the block and heads which are likely to see very little friction contact.

Does raise the question though...where does most engine swarf comes from?.
Oil Filter Magnets, any good? - Dynamic Dave

Here's what people previously thought of said gadget:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21246