VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - arnold2
I've been looking at a friend's Golf IV to replace my maligned Corolla ... but, when you either accelerate hard at low speeds, or bleed off speed below 30mph, there's a funny rattling noise from the rear of the car (can't work out where, though). Any ideas, anyone ?
How much should I pay for a 2002 1.6 3-Door, BTW ? (with Air-con)
VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - Civic8
Just a thought.But maybe a loose baffle in the silencer?
--
Steve
How easy is that to spot - car on ramp job ?
VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - Civic8
Would be easier to check the exhaust that way..
--
Steve
I'm also wondering if the exhaust is mis-aligned in some way, and knocking on the suspension when the car 'squats' during acceleration or braking - anyone else had that problem in a Golf IV ?
VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - 547HEW
At 92000 mls my Mk IV 115PS PD has developed a rattle from the underside of the car (as far as I can work out). It happens on light tip-in, as the engine goes upwards through 1200 rpm and only at dead on 1200. Will not do it at standstill in neutral. Initially was only when cold, now does it a all the time. I suspect loose exh baffle, or exh/body contact.

I hope to find the cause when I do an Inspection service in the near future. Thoght it might have been EGR related, but no error codes.

VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - shaun
half-way up the car the exhaust sits in a cradle attatched to the car. it is attatched to the cradle with a rod welded onto the exhaust, these are prone to breaking off, i had mine break. don't know if this is the problem but it's worth a look.
Update on my rattle following Inspection Service yesterday.

All mountings are intact, and rattle eminates from the Oxidation catalyst can. Therefore is probably a loose ceramic substrate.

Will be interesting to see what develops over time.
VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - JohnM{P}
"Will be interesting to see what develops over time."

If it is like the 110TDi catalyst on my old Passat, it will rattle louder and louder, until it breaks up and clogs the exhaust, causing severe loss of power (30 mph max). Local independant charged a lot less than main agent to replace (using a VW exchange cat. obtained from the main agents).

If it is the cat, get it changed sooner than later...
John,

Thanks for the benefit of your experience. I will look into sourcing the part.
VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - Matt A W
The 1.6 16v engine used in the Golf does have a tendancy to pink under hard acceleration due to the high compression ratio but I suppose this wouldn't explain the noise when you back off. Do bear in mind that a 3 door 1.6 will be an import and therefore should be priced accordingly. The 1.6 was only available as a 5 door in the UK.
VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - Jono_99
Passenger's Earings...

(leaves quietly)
VW Golf IV, rattling noise... - Stuartli
I presume you've checked the boot area, including the spare wheel well, to ensure there's nothing loose rattling around?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by