smoky vw tdi - tobyn
my 110k mile vw tdi has started to produce a fair bit of smoke. it has been a gradual process over the last few months but now even when the engine is hot at standstill there is a noticeable smog. it isn't burning any oil.

it passed its MOT a month ago with very low emissions - i mentioned the smoke to the mechanic but he didn't suggest anything.
(at its last service the oil was overfilled by half a litre - it produced a lot of smoke until i checked the level and had to drain some off. however the smoking had started before this.)

any ideas? could worn injectors be responsible? if so is it an expensive job to replace them?
smoky vw tdi - wantone
Try some Millers diesel power plus (diesel treatment to clean your system) cant hurt to try! or try halfords, im sure they have some fuel injector cleaner instore?
smoky vw tdi - storme
or maybe,,,,,if your not losing any oil..as you say..
maybe it is steam????

possible??
smoky vw tdi - tobyn
thanks for your suggestions.

have used miller's diesel additive since i got the car 2 years ago...

pretty sure it's not steam - looks like smoke, smells like smoke..

well at least it might foil a speed camera!
smoky vw tdi - AndyT
You could give the EGR system a look at. These are known to gum-up and restrict the inlet manifold over a period of time.
The valve could be stuck open, or there could be too much muck in the manifold.
A Haynes manual, a few spanners, and brake cleaner should sort it out if that's your problem.
smoky vw tdi - tobyn
cheers - i'll give it a go