Rover 25 - unidentified noises - Barbara
Help! I am trying to identify the various "chirrups" etc emitted by my (very) recently acquired Rover 25.

It seems to have more bells and whistles than a fun-fair. My fault entirely, I'm sure, for not buying a new car for 9 years.

It does all sorts of (mildly irritating and superfluous) things which I won't go into but........ I really would like to know why, every time I switch the ignition off, it goes "warble warble, warble warble, warble warble". No clues in the handbook; nice sales-person says "probably something to do with the immobiliser....". "Probably" doesn't fill me with confidence, I have to say. Another thought was that it was to remind me to remove the front from the stereo...........

Any brighter ideas from you clever people - please?!

Rover 25 - unidentified noises - Dynamic Dave
why, every time I switch the ignition off, it goes "warble
warble, warble warble, warble warble".

IIRC, it's the fuel tank breather system venting off pressure. On my mates old Rover 200, it sounded like a cow mooing.
Another thought was that it was to remind me to remove the front from the stereo...

Ah, that sort of noise. Then maybe not what I suggested above. I know that Sony stereo's give off an annoying series of beeps when the ignition is turned off.
Dave

Thanks for that. Yes - it is a Sony stereo so that could possibly be the answer - though it does warble even if it's off when I switch the ignition off.

It's just annoying not to know because:

(a) it might be trying to tell me something vital and

(b) I have an enquiring mind.

Rover 25 - unidentified noises - Adam {P}
My Sony did that before it was stolen even if it was off. On ignition off, it would go:
beep beep beep beep (quickly then pause) beep beep beep beep (pause) beep beep beep beep)

If it was trying to tell you something vital then it would do it on engine on!

--
Adam
Rover 25 - unidentified noises - Dynamic Dave
it does warble even if it's off when I switch the ignition off.

I remember the noise you're refering to now. I was in a Merc A class the other day and the Sony stereo in that did the same.

It's Sony's way of reminding you that the flip front is still attached and that you should remove and take it with you/hide it somewhere when leaving the vehicle. Not sure if the annoying bleeps can be turned off though.
Rover 25 - unidentified noises - Adam {P}
They could on mine via the menu. But that was a super duper one with a remote....probably why it got nicked. Never bothered me to be honest but one might say they were useless given how I left it in that fateful day.

Even though it is that, to put your mind at rest, take the front off and turn the ignition off. It will stop thus giving you your culprit.
--
Adam
Dave and Adam

Happy now! The Sony Stereo is non-standard and therefore not covered by the h/book. Borrowed one from a neighbour with a Sony and it's all explained. Sadly it doesn't tell you how to stop the wretched thing doing it though.

Will cross that bridge another time............

Sorry yours was nicked, Adam. It's obviously a really great security device!

Thanks to both of you!

Barbara