Vehicle running costs - businessman
i am a taxi driver/operator. the council have invited the trade to justify an increase in the fares this year. therefore, if anyone could point me in the right direction for an increase in the following from Jan 04 to Jan 05. the topics i thought were relivant are as follows.

cost of vehicle component parts

labour costs

fuel costs

insurance costs

vehicle costs

Vehicle running costs - Schnitzel
In the last year, I think the biggest increases are due to...

Traffic harming obstructions of the highway
Artificially-created congestion
Parking charges (which probably doesn't apply)

Vehicle running costs - daveyjp
Totally non vehicle related expenditure, but how about throwing back in their face a Council Tax increase all you drivers will have had to cover from your fares?
i agree, valid points that i will include.
Vehicle running costs - Badger
1. Your own salary taken from the business. You are surely entitled to at least an inflation-level increase.
2. The lost return on the capital that would have been yours had you opted to invest it rather than sink it into operating a taxi.
3. Legal and accountancy costs.
4. Breakdown service.
5. Mobile phone/sat nav costs.
6. Fines (sorry).
7. Membership of trade association.
8. Entertainment?

Vehicle running costs - Schnitzel
What about land prices for parking the vehicle on when not in use.
You could find out the proportion of the value of your house's plot that is the driveway, and show how it has increased threefold in 5 years. A typical modest semi-detatched building plot is £40,000 at the moment in the midlands..
Vehicle running costs - mare
Don't know where you are, but Bristol City Council have had to raise fares to encourage cabbies to come out at night following the murder of a cab driver. So maybe the security aspect is relevant for insurance and new kit. Some cabbies somewhere are trialing CCTV observing the passenger i believe, which will cost.

Vehicle running costs - cockle {P}
Businessman, our local taxi drivers association has just made such an application to our local council based on all the criteria you mention. I would suggest you give them a call as I imagine they would be happy to help other cabbies in a different area.

Their details are:- Southend Taxi Drivers' Association, c/o AC Taxis, 0800 317372. Chairman is/was Paul Sutton.

For the mods:- I wouldn't normally put details on here but these details have been freely published in our local press amd their online versions so are not details that are not readily available elsewhere or by a simple Google search.

Cockle
Vehicle running costs - Vansboy
Wheres Dave Taxi Driver, these days - he's the guy to ask!!

& forget the costs associated with parking the cab at home.They'll only stuff you for Capital Gains allowances, when you move!!

Not sure where it's shown on the www, but all of the items you mention, should be in the Governments, monthly Retail Price Index figures, they invent - sorry - compile.

VB
thanks for that, will do.
Vehicle running costs - Cliff Pope
You could have a look at civil service and local government staff car mileage allowances.